1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AFI's new Top 100: Shawshank, Spartacus in, Patton, Fargo out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Pulp Fiction in

Caddyshack out

Madness.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hate the, "You just aren't smart enough or inside enough to get it" argument. I got Citizen Kane. I understand how innovative it was for its time and the influence of the movie. I can appreciate that. But I still don't care for it as No. 1 because I just don't find it that entertaining.

These are movies. That's the primary function -- to entertain.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a bad analogy, but there's cheerleading at sporting events and then there are cheerleading competitions that are almost mini-gymnastics meets. Those who enjoy watching one might not appreciate the technical merit and proficiency of the other.

There are movies, and there are films. Sometimes it's unfair and unrealistic to compare a work from one group to a work from the other.

4. I think AFI once said it came down to the financing. That's why Metropolis and many of Hitchcock's are not on the list.

If we were doing a true top 100, movies like La Dolce Vita, The Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ugetsu & The Seventh Seal would have to be on the list.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you aren't smart enough. I'm just saying that the insiders appreciate it more.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I understand both sides of that... I would rather watch Harold and Kumar for a 50th time than see Schindler's List a second time, but I'm not arguing that the former is the better film.

I've seen Citizen Kane and I hate that anybody who doesn't think it's the greatest thing ever "doesn't get it" I just firmly believe that The Godfather is a much, much better movie... But if AFI picked The Godfather as No. 1, they would be accused of writing Citizen Kane off because it's too old...

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

OK...two huge omissions I'll point out...

Judgment at Nuremburg and Inherit the Wind...

Two of the best courtroom dramas, both directed by Stanley Kramer and both involving some of the best acting you'll ever see. And both absolutely crush To Kill A Mockingbird.

Other shit which pisses me off..
    All Quiet Along the Western Front is a national treasure and is the best WWI picture of all-time.
    -No documentaries? If we're talking the best American films...where is your Hearts and Minds or Harlan County USA?
    -The French Connection at 93...holy fuck.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Technical merit should not trump entertainment value, no matter who does the ranking.

And when you say it went over people's heads, you are saying they either are not intelligent enough or not educated enough in film appreciation to get it. I'm not talking about me taking it personal. I get what you meant. I just hate that argument in any context.

9. This argument can apply to sportswriting too. I've read award-winning stories that Joe Reader might not enjoy nearly as much as other sportswriters would enjoy them.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Where's Ishtar?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of my top 10 of all-time, the only ones on this list are Goodfellas, Raiders, Pulp Fiction and Godfather I...

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If a movie is playing over people's heads, then the movie just wasn't made well enough to appeal to the masses.

Probably not the most popular outlook these days, but there ya have it.

And yes, Ishtar's a long way from this list, but it wasn't nearly bad enough to merit 15 years of bad-film infamy. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted