1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AFI's new Top 100: Shawshank, Spartacus in, Patton, Fargo out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I lean toward that camp, though I get the cutting-edge camera work that Welles employed.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it sucks, but I sure as hell don't think it's the best movie I have ever seen. I wouldn't watch it again.

Some excellent additions...Shawshank and 12 Angry Men. Great films.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just watched 12 Angry Men about a month ago. Great, great movie. The old man really makes that movie.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Dammit -- I'm down to 97 now. I'll see "Intolerance" but I can't see "Sophie's Choice" and I already mentioned my fear of "A Clockwork Orange" on the other AFI thread. I can't watch Holocaust films. After "Schindler's List" I had nightmares and cried a lot for weeks. Occasionally, I still have a Schindler's related nightmare.

I can't believe "The Searchers" jumped so much and GFII at 32 is just so wrong. "Goodfellas" should be higher, too.

As for "Citizen Kane," I love it. It's in my personal top 10, possibly even my top 5.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Nashville" was an entertaining little sleeper of a movie which does not belong within smelling distance of this list.

Put it in the same pile with "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

6. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

You're not alone on Shawshank. Don't like it either.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a theory that nothing can ever be a perfect 10. Things top at 9.5 or 9.9, whatever you choose. That said, there are about 50 on this list that could easily be in the top 5. It just depends upon your taste.

Some that I think should make the list that are pre-1996

The Sting
    Bullitt
    Hoosiers

Comedies who get robbed
    This is Spinal Tap
    Caddyshack
    Holy Grail

Post - 1996
    Yes, movies today do stink
    The first 1:49:00 of Million Dollar Baby
    The Incredibles
    Cinderella Man
    Seabiscuit

Those are off the top of my head

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you have four movies since 1996 which belong on this list -- no, movies today don't stink overall.

You just have a helluva lot more to choose from than they did in 1955 or 1965.

9. 93Devil

Maybe they look at camera angles and acting performances when they rate comedies?

I mean didn't Pollack direct Tootsie? It also had Dustin Hoffman. I'm not agreeing with them. I am just playing a devil's advocate.

10. 93Devil

The reason why I think movies today are not as good as in the past (or stink) is that they do not seem to take the chances that used to be taken.

When I watch The Blues Brothers I know we will never see two major stars of their time do something like this again. For them to be in the background of the shot when Franklin is singing, and not being the focus the entire time, is something. What actor would do that today?

Oh, add The Bourne Identity to this list.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, consider this: The only movies from 1957 you would bother to watch today are the classics, the type of movies which belong on this list.

The hundreds, thousands of movies made in that era which took no chances, which were totally formulaic, which really sucked ... they just faded off into limbo.

Movies like that are quickly sorted out, but somebody DOES watch them and make that judgment when they first come out. So, yes, we DO see a lot more crap today ... because we're not always forewarned.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree with all of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted