1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghanistan Coming Unglued

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No one has the Constitutional right to destroy another person's property. He can burn his own bibles to his heart's content, but not yours.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Those tweeters bring in a few hundred extra page views that earn the paper a buck or two.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's kind of ironic, is that they are worried about a few burned up korans, while their relatives rot away in Gitmo with little chance of due process.

4. Boom_70

But they can't stop a war machine like those old guys could.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the Halberstams and Herschs would be quite capable of tweeting in their sleep and then cranking out their ass-kicking copy during the day.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This. 1,000 times this.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

They're busy investigating the misuse of apostrophes.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ah, what the hell, I still won't kill him. Now if he fucks with my R11 driver ...

9. Boom_70

One writer who has done a good job of not falling in lock step with the Pentagon version of what is going in in Afghanistan is Michael Hastings. He is the Rolling Stone writer that took down McChrystal.

I just finished his book - The Operators where he further elaborates on his McChrystal story and why he chose to write the story as he viewed it. Surprisingly he has gotten a lot of grief from mainstream Washington media. It's one of the better books I've read in a while.

There is a good review by Glenn Greenwald in Salon:
    http://www.salon.com/2012/01/06/michael_hastings_on_war_journalists/singleton/

Interesting quote from Hastings:

"Look, I went into journalism to do journalism, not advertising. My views are critical but that shouldn’t be mistaken for hostile – I’m just not a stenographer. There is a body of work that shows how I view these issues but that was hard-earned through experience, not something I learned going to a cocktail party on fucking K Street. That’s what reporters are supposed to do, report the story."

10. Boom_70

"the unwritten rule I'd broken was a simple one:You weren't really suppose to write honestly about people in power. Especially those who the media deemed untouchable. Trash Sarah Palin all you want, but tread carefully when writing about the sacred cows."
    Micheal Hastings on fallout from Rolling Stone story.

Draft saved Draft deleted