1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghanistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Your framing of the question implies that fighting over there reduces the chance of being attacked.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As are wars, which are politics by other means.

But I've given up trying to figure out what in the fuck the rules are around here.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know this I don't view this as a decision that needs to be debated among the political bullshit that led to it.

The question which should be discussed is --- does this or going to Iraq, or Somalia (or wherever the hell the next politician thinks he can win some votes by sending troops) make America safer?

And the answer is always very clearly no, particularly when we haven't even defined who the enemy really is and what we are fighting against.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if being there or not being there would make Afghanistan safer. But that region is unstable. Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, mixed with nukes. It's like seeing a kid tap dancing in golf shoes on a glass table with a lighter in one hand and lighter fluid in the other. You can let things happen or try and do something to intervene.
    This isn't just about Afghanistan, or terror fears at home, it's about world stability.

5. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Funny but this is the same shit spewed by the left when Bush was doing something.

Me? I'd say a good nuke is coming somewhere. A world war is the only thing that's going to stabilize the world after the Greatest Depression (god, they've even coined a phrase for it now). It happened in the 30s and 40s and the elephant in the room is twice the size this time around.

6. zagoshe

You mean stabilize things like we did in Southeast Asia for 15 years? Or stabilize things like we've done in the Middle East for 40 years?

The U.S. sending 30,000 troops into this region to "stabilize things" is sort of like taking a shot glass full of water into the California wildfires to try and put them out.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You could tell the members of the military who were forced to attend that speech would have rather been anywhere but there.

Personally, I would have had more respect for Obama if he completely pulled everyone out of Iraq and Afghanistan rather than say, "Well, we're going to surge and then we're going to quit."

"I'm going to risk the lives of 30,000 of you on something I've already given up on."

The man is a fucking disgrace.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yup. Apolitical.

9. zagoshe

Translation - "I'm really glad the politics boards are closed since the horse that I am backing is and has been such a complete fuck up and disaster and instead of pathetically having to defend his idiocy I can hide behind the 'we can't talk about it here' clause then go to the coward board for the daily Obama pep rally......"

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And here..... we.......................

go

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Say good night Irene.

You know, I think I speak for the rest of the brass when I say we're actually willing to maybe look the other way a little bit and not get our panties in a wad if a little politics slips into the course of a discussion AND is handled in an adult manner.
    But I'll get more pissed than usual when it goes back to the usual bullshit.

We need to have a management meeting and whip out the plank and have some folks walk it. Grow the fuck up, some of you, or move on. Please. I can point you in a specific direction if you'd like.

No more PMs on this, please. I have some actual work to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.