1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghanistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As someone once pointed out, the region has been a crossroads of brutality for 10 centuries. What can we do to change that?

2. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

Whatever the case, it's Obama's war now. He's made the move; quit bitching about Bush's role.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

1) Most people supported the war in Afghanistan since that's where the people responsible for 9/11 were.

2) Many of those opposed to George W. Bush's sending troops overseas weren't against it in totality, the vast majority of it were opposed to WHERE they were being sent, as in, the Iraq war.

But then again, you already knew that. :) :) :)

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yep. No chance whatsoever of being apolitical.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I tried to install Afghanistan 2.0 and kept getting a "Could not find hard drive" error message.

So, I opened the computer's case and all I could find was sand, rocks and two hampsters speaking a funny language fighting over a dried-up mini marshmallow in one corner.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Really? We know that the 9/11 terrorists are in Afghanistan? And is that who we are now going to fight against? Or are they in Pakistan now?

This is another "we're USA, let's measure our dick" move by our politicians, MOST of whom have no problem putting other people's 18 and 19 year olds at harm's way for these pissing contests but would never send their own and did everything in their power to make sure they didn't have to go when it was their turn years ago.....

It is no different and no more or less going to solve the problem than going into Iraq did or would of.

There is no correlation between invading Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, China, India, Costa Rica or anywhere else - and what happened on 9/11.

But since it is Obama's call to do this, well, I'm sure THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!!

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's interesting hearing people bitch and moan about the plan - anyone got any better idea?
    We pull out and then what? Trust the bad guys to be so grateful they just leave us alone? What has bin Laden done to earn that trust?
    The other option is to nuke the area, nuke Pakistan and the disputed areas between India and Pakistan and just get it over with.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I will only speak for myself, but I was behind the initial invasion of Afghanistan because we were going after the Taliban and al-Qaida. It has nothing to do with who is/was president.

Iraq, in my opinion, was another matter. I judged the deployment on its merits, not by who was in the oval office.

9. zagoshe

So you had similar sentiments about the plan to invade Iraq and then stay there, I mean, because there clearly never is any alternative to going to war, even when it is a misguided idiotic political war against an opponent we can't clearly define and aren't quite sure who it is....

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yup. Apolitical.

11. zagoshe

It doesn't have to be political - unfortunately the interpretation of facts involving decisions by our governments always is divided among partisan lines which is why most partisan people are full of shit.

It was either idiotic and a waste of resources and time to go to this war no matter where it takes place or it is not.

It really is that simple.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Decisions involving government are by definition political, whether divided by party lines or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.