1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghanistan 2.0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My son's best friend in high school is an Army lieutenant over there now. He seems to feel his company is doing some good in its small portion of things.
    I'm sure it is. But I don't see much of a good outcome on the macroscale. The Taliban say, "you've got the watches, we've got the time." Sooner or later, we will leave. They will stay, because they live there.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Eff that. I'm waiting for Afghanistan 3.0 ... unless they crowdsource it like Somalia 2.0 was.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm hearing the first adapters are complaining that their firewalls are going apeshit every time the program boots. I'll wait 'till the initial flood of patches comes in.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm freaking stoked about going back (other than the fact that we'll have a month-old baby when I leave). There was a lot more support for the war when I went the first time. Heading back in March, with a little more meaningful job, this time.

I hope this works and support for the war turns around.

This is the one we're supposed to be fighting.

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I think that's the key. If people dig deep in their memories, there wasn't much significant opposition to the initial campaign in Afghanistan. It's the whole Iraq adventure that's been the problem. Unfortunately, having two wars at the same time stretched everyone thin and left us with a mess on our hands.

I have no idea if Obama's plan will work; I'll leave that to the people who have a military background. If Al Qaida can be ripped apart to some degree, then maybe that will be the one decent thing we were able to pull out of this whole lousy mess.

I had family serve in Iraq. My thoughts are with anyone or anyone's family serving now or heading over as part of this new plan.

8. Thanks, Yank. I appreciate the thought.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"......Barrack Obama told the nation,
    Have no fear of escalation I am trying everyone to please!
    And though it's really not a war,
    We're sending 30,000 more,
    To help save Afghanistan from the Talibanese......"

10. Finish the job and come home, how's that for apolitical? Unfortunately, its an endless battle I fear.
    I just wish he hadn't set a deadline/timeline for finishing the job. Most unfortunate marketing strategy.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In some ways I am sad that the liberal mafia took its ball and went home.

I mean, this would have been the perfect thread to get out the popcorn and watch the Fenian nation go on and on and on with the "but but but but but THAT'S DIFFERENT" routine when asked why this decision by Obama to send more troops overseas is any more or less moral than any made by GWB in terms of sending troops somewhere.....

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And here.... we.... go....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.