1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Affirmative action for MLB rosters?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, May 7, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is this all just a smokescreen to help Jesse keep another skeleton hidden in the closet?

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Nuke this thread, it's making me sick already.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So what other teams have no black players? I know the Red Sox have only Coco Crisp.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A quote from the story:

"As I expected, [Schuerholz?s] idea is the bottom line: I'll put the best 40 men I can get wherever I can get them from on the field, and that's fair. But the fact of the matter is if they put resources into recruiting here in the United States, and more specifically here in Atlanta, there are talented players here."

I have a thousand rebuttals that would destroy this hoser. But I can't organize any of them they're coming at me so fast.

I'll just say this: Common sense is a useful tool. I can't believe more people don't use it.

As it's been alluded too, no stone is unturned in the world of scouting these days, despite what Uncle Rico convinced Jesse Jackson somewhere along the way.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hate to say it, but whitlock was on to something.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

jackson has proven he's a headline-grabbing whore.

his point is valid. baseball had this discussion a few weeks ago on the jackie robinson anniversary. but instead of having the audacity to accuse the braves of not doing enough jackson and his crew should partner with MLB (or individual teams) and start building baseball fields and holding clinics for black youth in inner cities.

as usual jackson takes probably the least effective method of solving the problem while grabbing as many headlines as possible. i wouldn't be surprised if he called for a black boycott later this summer.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't we have a thread on this a while back? Were the percentages of blacks among the American-born players in MLB in line with the percentage of the actual population in the U.S.? If they are, this is simply a non-issue.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

An shameless organization will never be ashamed of itself

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. Yup. No one who quotes the percentages ever bothers to acknowledge the decrease in number of all races of Americans in the majors. Academies in the Dominican can cost the same as a first-round pick and produce many more players.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was part of my point. Also, how is it a problem if the percentage of American-born black players in MLB is about the same as the percentage of the population in the U.S. that is black?

12. Both are around 12%.

Draft saved Draft deleted