1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AFA hires Calhoun. Paper 2 miles away has to go to Bristol, Conn. for the news.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BullBoi, Dec 22, 2006.

1. BullBoi

BullBoi New Member

www.gazette.com
    :D

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Re: AFA hires Calhoun. Paper 2 miles away has to go to Bristol, Conn. for the ne

I can't believe this guy got the job. Well, I can because he knows Air Force football, but really it's his rise to NFL OC (Texans) is unbelievable to me. I didn't think Grobe would take him to Wake when he was OC of Ohio. With Calhoun and Knorr at the helm, Army and Navy should make room in their trophy cases for years to come.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Well, BullBoi, guess that's what happens when the Gazette sticks someone on the beat who graduated from an inferior school like the University of Notre Dame. Glad you pointed it out.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

now it says that the gazette has confirmed it. says nothing about ESPN.

5. Pastor_Ted

Pastor_Ted New Member

One of the assistants there tells me that the SE has created the most "diverse," yet hopelessly incompetent desk ever.

They were late on Fisher leaving, and they were late on his replacement. But hey....they're "diverse."

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Lame.

Sounds like somebody's a little bitter that they didn't get the AFA beat job.

I don't see the point in starting a thread about how ESPN.com beat the Colorado Springs Gazette on a coaching hire. ESPN.com beats a lot of people on this kind of news. Believe me, Joe Schad wasn't working the phones this morning trying to figure out who Air Force was going to hire. I'm sure somebody called him, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I just don't think it's a major surprise, nor is it worth bashing a brand new beat writer over.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me of the FWST breaking the North Texas hiring of Todd Dodge and smoking the local paper, which was also 2 miles away. i detect a trend here.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

ESPN got this one because he came from the NFL. Schaller was all over it the last week, getting job interview locations, details, etc. Pretty good job considering he's the only person really covering that beat. So it's not like he can rely on other guys on the beat to move the story along if it gets stuck with a mini-scoop or two. If the Gazette doesn't get it, the story stalls. Wish he could have finished it out, but great groundwork done by him the last few days.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Do you enjoy working for the FWST?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure the Gazette is the first paper ever to be scooped by ESPN.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Calhoun did come with Grobe from Ohio U to Wake. The only guy who didn't was Brian Knorr, who was named Grobe's successor at Ohio.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Please don't remind us that schmuck got left behind. He sent us back to the Stone Age.

Draft saved Draft deleted