1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AEG for Sale?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good read. Would not be surprised if this is how it plays out. But this is also more than returning the NFL to LA. AEG has its thumbs in so many things ... MLS, NHL, entertainment.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Maybe he can buy the A's and build them a stadium next to my office in Oakland.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Why can't he write like this all the time and cut the other antagonistic crap.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Oh, no. T.J. spins gold with his antagonistic crap. And who else can pull that off?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rumors of a new name in the ring: Larry Ellison.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21755035/oracles-larry-ellison-eyes-fellow-billionaires-anschutz-entertainment

Man, you thought you've seen some egotistical assholes in sports before ...

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I kind of like the idea of Ellison getting involved.

For one, he's local. For two, he's a visionary, with the wallet to match.

BTW, the guy has bought up something like 9 of the 30 homes on Malibu's Carbon Beach, known as the swankiest address in California.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And when he gets bored with Malibu ...

On June 21, 2012, Hawaii's governor, Neil Abercrombie, declared that Larry Ellison had signed an agreement to buy the most of the island of Lanai from the Castle & Cooke company, owned by David H. Murdock. As a result of his purchase, Larry Ellison owns 98% of Lanai, Hawaii's sixth-largest island. Once known for its pineapple fields, Lanai is now visited for its two resorts, golf courses and luxury housing.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sale off, Leiweke out:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-14/anschutz-co-says-it-won-t-sell-aeg-president-leiweke-leaving.html

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has Farmer's already cut a check? I can see a secondary revenue stream for selling naming rights to proposed developments that may or may never be built. Needless to say, the exposure hasn't been bad.
    I figured selling AEG would be too big of a deal for one buyer.
    The interesting thing is seeing the bidders and wondering if they may be checking out the Lakers now.
    Figure Leiweke won't be out of work very long.

Draft saved Draft deleted