1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AEG for Sale?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Could be a big story across a number of sports:

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to believe someone would have that kind of money and expertise to swallow the thing whole.
    Arena management, sports franchises, film and TV, event production...

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No question mark needed. It's happening.

This is a pretty big deal in of itself, to say nothing of the future (or lack thereof) of the NFL in L.A.

4. MileHigh

We just saw the Dodgers fetch $2 billion in that market, so nothing would surprise me.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Definitely deserves its own topic. I believe AEG controls quite a few of the newer MLS stadiums as well as owning the Houston team.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I wonder if this is behind Daryl Katz's meltdown on Monday in Edmonton over the construction of the Oilers's new arena, particularly a clause that no one had heard about until now but was supposedly part of the deal from the beginning that the city would subsidize operational costs at a clip of $6 mil a year when it was the Katz run group who was supposed to be on the hook for it in agreement for public funding to build the arena. AEG I believe was at the minimum in an advisory capacity for the project with Katz, and likely held some kind of operational role as well. Now there is panic that the deal may be yanked and the Oilers headed out of town. From my understanding from afar.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

YF channeling D_B here...suggest you check out TJ's column that I link to on the original thread.

8. YankeeFan

Just pulled it up.

Wasn't following that thread, so didn't realize it was being discussed there.

9. MileHigh

Very interesting column by T.J., to say the least. A lot of it is hunch and nothing on the record or facts to back it up, but interesting, to say the least.

10. YankeeFan

Anschutz has long given Leiweke tremendous latitude.

I'm surprised to read their relationship became "strained" over the NFL stadium. True? Has that been reported elsewhere?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Simers link now here, too:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-0919-simers-aeg-nfl-20120919,0,1262369.column

12. YankeeFan

As a side note, Patrick Soon-Shiong was not someone I was previously familiar with. Sounds like a pretty fascinating guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted