1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice wanted for prep football story/kickers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scribe4Sports, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Scribe4Sports

Scribe4Sports New Member

Hello,

Looking for some possible help/advice on a prep football story.

Doing a story on a local high school kicker, who despite being a senior, is playing for the first time. The reason is that the old coach (who left for another school) never gave him the time of day, pretty much keeping him from being on the team.

The reason was that he is the school’s best soccer player, and in ONE game six years ago, or so, a kicker/soccer player missed an extra point to cost the team the game. Ever since, that football coach never allowed soccer players to be on the team.

The twist is that this kid is pretty damn good at kicking a football. Touchbacks, typically out of the end zone, on almost every kickoff. Kicked a 45-yard field goal the other day with plenty of leg.

All of this for never trying to kick a football before this season, and only practicing football one day a week (soccer the rest of the time).

New coach (who was the offensive coordinator last season) and player want to gain exposure to colleges and that’s kind of the story angle (kid never got chance to showcase himself, he’s pretty good and could have a chance for the next level, if anyone knew about him).

What I have a question with is….I feel like I need to get some sort of kicking expert for the story to discuss what an average NCAA Division I kicker does in high school, not really sure…but it seems like I should have something aside from the kid and new coach. Purdue is in our backyard, maybe talk to their special teams coach about what they look for in recruiting kickers (knowing he can’t comment on specific kids)? Or maybe some other source?

Also, should I try to contact the old coach? Part of me feels I should give him a chance to explain/defend himself. The other side of me doesn’t want the story going down a he-said/he-said type of argument, instead keeping the focus on the kid. The current coach was on staff last year and confirmed what the kid said.

Thanks for reading this long post, and for any advice offered.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm not sure about the whole kid not getting a chance angle. That seems like a nest you don't want to step into, plus I don't think it would add much to the story.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think you've got to at least touch on it at some part in the story. People are going to read the story, see he's a senior and want to know why a kicker this good wasn't on the team before his senior year.

Scribe, it wouldn't hurt getting a comment from the former coach, see what he says. Especially if the current kicker says he wanted to be on the team, but the coach didn't want him. Let the coach try to explain why he didn't want someone who could get 45-yard field goals on his team.

You could try to talk to a recruiter about what they look for, but I doubt they give you anything worth writing about. You can cover the college aspect with the kid, who can say who he is interested in and who has contacted him.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Talk to the Colts and splain that you need to talk to their kicker... or find another one.. Am sure Vanderjagt will help.. he's a giving kinda guy

5. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Like everything else in preps now and days, kicking has a lot to do with how they perform in their games but also at the local kicking camps. That is how he gets his name out there.

In case you haven't already: http://www.chrissailerkicking.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted