1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice to 17 Year Old Self?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr7134, Jul 4, 2010.

1. the fop

the fop Member

Write a song along these lines before Paisley grows up and does it

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It's easy for young sportswriters to eat lots of fast food. Don't do it. Eat smart. I'm still paying the poundage price, and will be for a long time, though I no longer eat fast food.

And, do have a life, despite the crazy hours. When you get married right out of college, your wife will appreciate actually spending time with her hubby rather than him always running off to some high school game.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

In a few years there will be these things called 'dot coms' invest in them heavily for a couple of years, sell everything and retire at 30.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

1. Major in something else (education, business?). Minor in journalism. Work for the campus paper and get all the experience you can.
    2. Given I was planning to live in the uber-cheap Midwest anyway (and did), save up and buy a cheap 2br house instead of renting for bachelorhood.

5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Travel.

Backpack through Europe, see the sights and drink it all in. It's an education.

Listen to the person who tells you that at some point in your life you will have to work very hard and that it's far easier to do that when you're young.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Use sunscreen and make sure the shower curtain is inside the tub.
    Also, don't be so shy and stupid. A little self-confidence goes a long way, and the sooner you realize that getting shot down by Little Miss Tramp Stamp isn't the end of the world the better off you'll be.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking about writing something like this for my own amusement.
    I could go on and on with a lot of things, but I think these are the main points:
    1). The girl you really like now may have liked you a year ago when you were too shy to make the first move, but she doesn't like you now and if you keep pursuing her, it will end very, very badly. There's bound to be someone else with whom you actually have a chance.
    2). Watch what you eat and keep working out between wrestling seasons. Do a running event in track and get back on the cross country team in the fall.
    3). Go to a state college and give more thought to a career while you're in school.
    4). Learn how to manage your personal finances.
    5). You got along very well without drugs and alcohol for the first 17 years of your life, so why start now?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

1) Don't sell yourself short. Big dreams are not just for other people. They are within your reach. I understand that this is slightly abstract, but far, far, far too many people settle into an existence. Half of us could be curing cancer.
    2) And, as many have said, stop being shy. Keep being smart. Go get educated. Get yourself in a little bit of shape. The world will be your oyster. Years after high school, after I was already happily married, I was in a local bar in my hometown, and ran into the "it" girl of high school. Got along with her well enough back then, but didn't feel like I stood a chance. At least 10 times that night from her: "You look incredible!!" In a non-sexual way, same with the guys. I've ran into every Johnny B. Goode I went to high school with in the years since, and it's like we were long-lost best friends. It's natural to be shy in high school, but ultimately pointless. Everyone is as insecure as you.
    3) Straight A's. Churn them out every semester. It will be worth it down the road, whether it is because of that Harvard degree or the $100K in student loans you saved by getting a full ride to State U.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Drink beer -- it will help you talk to girls

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

DON'T BECOME A SPORTSWRITER, YOU MORON!

Wow, that was easy.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yes, don't become sportswriter

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member