1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on Writing a Book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Aug 9, 2016.

1. moonlight

moonlight Member

Hi folks.

I've been approached by someone who I have covered for years to write a book of their memories in their little niche of the sports world. I'm interested in doing it, but I have never written a book or anything resembling a book — just articles for newspapers and magazines.

So tell me, what do I need to know? It sounds like a pay-to-publish kind of thing (he said he'd pay for that), so I don't think I need to go the route of finding a publisher and all the perks that go with that. I think it would basically be him talking to me, and me polishing the stories into separate chapters.

He said he'd pay me for my time. What's a realistic figure? I know I won't get rich, but a little scratch would be nice.

Can anyone give me some good advice here?

TexasVet likes this.
  2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd go for a fee/cut, though how much of each is hard to say. Is this person notable enough that you think the book will sell well? Or do you know going in it will have a limited market?

Length of the book is a factor, too.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted