1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on whether or not to go to a U2 concert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Sep 22, 2009.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm having trouble making an inane decision, so I come to SJ and its collective wisdom for help.

My friends had two tickets to see U2 at the Meadowlands tomorrow night. They can't go and their options are either to get their $40 back or sell them to my roommates and I for $40 a piece. There's three of us and two tickets and we're trying to decide who gets them.

Right now I'm up in the air whether I want to go or not. I've never been to a big arena show, and we're up in the 300 level so we're not going to be close to the action. I don't have any friends who have been to a U2 concert or a concert at the Meadowlands and so I don't have anyone to give me advice on the whether the venue is good or U2 is worth seeing in person. So, considering that it's going to be a slight pain getting to and from the stadium and I'm kind of poor right now, is it worth it? I'd really like to hear from people who have seen U2 in concert.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go.

U2 puts on a great show.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Why this is such a hard decision is beyond me . . .

No friggin way do you waste your time going to listen to this crap.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you have listened to U2 in concert, ruddysmith?

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

6. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I went to one of the Chicago shows a couple of weeks ago. It was really worth it.

We were even more high up than you will be, most likely, and it didn't matter. They have this awesome futuristic sci-fi stage that you can actually see better from high up. We didn't feel like we missed anything, and were blown away by the whole experience. It was more like a Vegas show than just a concert ... very much a visual experience in addition to an audio one. Definitely worth the price.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

All right, based on the early returns I'm definitely leaning toward going. Also, the fact that Muse, who I really like, is opening for them is helping to sway me.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

So the music at their concerts is better than their music on albums?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He specifically wanted the opinion from people who have been to their concerts or been to the meadowlands.

And, yes, some bands are better in concert.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Go. They should be on everyone's concert bucket list.

And the seats shouldn't be a problem. When I'm in nosebleeds (which is pretty often on a journalist's salary), I just figure it's like sitting the press box. We have to make out numbers and players from a far distance all the time.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Spnited has no idea why he just kicked a stray cat.

I saw The Police in '07 from, literally, the last row at the Meadowlands and it didn't lessen the enjoyment one bit. If you like U2, go. The sky-high seats won't bother you at all. Unless you're afraid of heights, in which case you are fucked. :D

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've seen them twice. It's a GREAT experience.

I remember seeing them the first time on their POPMART tour and wondering if I'd even hear them from my spot in the 500 section at RFK Stadium. I said this out loud to a guy I'd happened to get into a conversation with because I could barely hear anything the opening act was doing.

When U2 was getting close to getting on stage, the guy turned to me and said something to the effect of, "you can hear that, right?" I did, clearly.

I also saw them in Baltimore at the then-Baltimore Arena on their tour for All That You Can't Leave Behind. I remember seeing a guy getting pulled from the audience to join them on stage to sing and play with them on "Knockin' On Heaven's Door." He even sang lead vocals on the second verse. What I remember almost as vividly was sitting in line for tickets long before the show and getting into a conversation with the guy in front of me.

Since you've never seen them before, I'd suggest going.

Draft saved Draft deleted