1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on video for newbie

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Babs, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Speedbump

Speedbump New Member

I highly recommend wearing a single earbud when shooting. This way, you can monitor the audio quality, and compensate for wind, background noise, etc. I never shoot video without it. You can always fudge bad video with B roll. But bad audio will kill a video every time. This is especially key when you don;t have an external microphone (my worst nightmare).

When shooting the game, don't just let your camera run. You don't want to end up with more than 10-15 minutes total or else you'll be editing for days. This goes double if you are just starting out. And I echo the whole stay-under-two-minutes-rule, especially for highlights. Too much longer, and yawn.

I like to take a couple of notes when I shoot, plays and the like that I want to make sure I find for the final edit. I note what I am looking for and a time stamp. That speeds things up for me a ton.

Also, you won't want to use a tripod on the sidelines (in many cases, it isn't even allowed). That, though, makes like difficult if you are acting both as shooter and interviewer. I found this sweet monopod-tripod combo at a big box store. It makes a huge difference in the quality of video I get, both action and interviews.

Software doesn't matter. But take a little time before diving in to watch the provided tutorials under the help menu or search for additional tutorials online. My very favorite resource in lynda.com. It is subscription-based, but worth every single penny.

2. Babs

Babs Member

I find it funny that everyone is assuming this is going to be football. It's not.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You said you don't own your own camera. Is the paper providing you with one? I'd hate for you to be buying a video camera for a newspaper job. They should be giving it to you.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I used to use my own equipment, but why take the chance it's going to get ruined. If the company can spend the cash on Blackberrys for several people, it can spend a few hundred bucks for a decent video camera.

My problem at my shop is that there is a size limit to the video file and when I transcode the file to Flash video, I have to dial down the bitrate. It's fine for interviews, but game action looks horrible.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

A few tips, some I think already have been covered:

1. Learn to frame an interviewee -- off to the side. Use the rule of thirds.

2. Shut your mouth while they talk. Not only does it improve the audio, it causes them to want to talk more.

3. Get plenty of B-roll. Shoot more than you'll need.

4. Have fun with it, for God's sake.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm using iMovie a lot recently with either an iFlip or my own digital camera. The end product isn't the best, but hey, I'm not Michael Bay over here.

7. Babs

Babs Member

I am being provided with a camera, yes. I pointed out that I do not own one to demonstrate my level of beginner-ness.

(Just like it's not football, it's not a paper though. Another assumption down.)

8. Babs

Babs Member

Do you have a link to a good example? I want to be able to picture this.

Had to look that one up. OK, thanks.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Babs:

http://www.videomaker.com/learn/production/cinematography/composition/rule-of-thirds/

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For a media outlet, a team or just for kicks and giggles.

11. Babs

Babs Member

A media outlet. Normally I write, which is probably obviously given all my rather basic questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted