1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on planning a trip to Florida?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

If you really want to go to Disney, I would suggest taking a day and going to Epcot Center and skipping the whole disney park experience. I could be wrong, but I think they are two separate parks and there is enough interesting stuff in Epcot for an older person. I have done the Orlando to Key West drive several times and while a pain, it certainly is worth it. Miami is nice--Calle Ocho is the main drag in Little Havana--tons of restaurants, shops. The good thing about Orlando is you are in the Middle. Want nightlife? Tampa is less than an hour away. Beach, head east to Coco Beach. Miami is doable.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not to mention blinding. Last time the wife and I went, we rolled into Key West right as the sun was dipping into the ocean. The last 30 minutes of the drive had me seeing a big orange blob for another hour.
    Other than that, Key West is fantastic. Gorgeous drive, and if you can spare a whole day for the drive from Miami (doubt you'd be able to if you're doing Disney and Miami, too), there's lots of little stops in the Keys you can make. There's a couple of places to swim with dolphins and sea lions in Islamorada, I think, and I've heard good things about the Key Deer Refuge in Big Pine Key (just before Key West).

And it probably goes without saying, but if you head to South Florida in the summer check the weather forecast. Tropical storms and hurricanes can throw all your plans out the window, even if it's not a strong storm.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Well, since I live about 30 minutes from Orlando and Tampa I can say that if you're going to do the Orlando thing, Disney parks are pretty much interchangable.

1) Disney (main park) - It's good, even if you're older. Sure you'll run into lots of screaming/annoying kids but if you've never been it's the thing to do if you're there.

2) Animal Kingdom - It's the newer addition to the Disney experience. Good rides and the safari ride is a good time. More thrilling rides there than at any other Disney park.

3) Epcot - It's lame city unless you enjoy semi-fine dining. The only reason for me to go back to Epcot is for the country-themed restaurants.

As for the other attractions in Orlando.

if you spend the day at Disney, get out early, go back to the hotel (stay in Kissimmee or on International Drive, it's not that bad actually) and then go to Universal Studios Citywalk. Lots of great restaurants, party atmosphere and a Margaritaville restaurant to party at.

STAY AWAY from Pleasure Island at Disney. It's an overly expensive tourist trap.

As far as the rest of your trip, have fun. And if you have more questions about the area, PM me. I'd be glad to help.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice, that goes for everyone. I'm staying at the Extended Stay Hotel in Orlando, got an amazing rate of $325 per person (there's three of us total) for the six-night hotel plus airfare plus unlimited mileage on a midsize rental car.

I'm using the tax rebate check to finance the majority of this trip so I should have tons of money to have fun with and I am definately printing this thread before i head down there.

Draft saved Draft deleted