1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice On Landing An SID Gig

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So how would a recommendation/reference from an SID that you have worked with play in this kind of job search?

I would think it would be a big boost. I wouldn't necessarily use an SID if I were going for a newspaper job, though.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's public record at public universities. I don't doubt the $25k mark. An SID in my old neck of the woods made just over that.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I made about $30K at a D-1 mid-major. I took a job back in my hometown to be closer to family, at a junior college where we had just seven sports, and made a little more. Go figure.

4. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

I make more at my state-supported mid major. The numbers and standards are all over the board, from big to small time, from public to private.

The other possibility, if you make good contacts and stick your nose in the right places, is moving up the ladder to higher-level administration work. Every school does things differently, and you can move up the ladder in different ways.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I believe there's great variance. I've been looking at this closely because I'm considering the same thing.

Check the cosida.com site, the classified ads. I see a D-II assistant SID position offering $41K. Got to think the school's SID makes significantly more.

It's a matter of your own personal situation. A move one guy can't afford, you might be able to.

This thread is very helpful. I hope a lot more advice comes out of it.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Count me among those interested in this thread, thanks to being freshly "downsized" by my newspaper. There is an opening in my area.

Hoping my bumping the thread will get some more chatter.

Should I just send my resume, as is, like I would for a newspaper job, figuring the people at the school already are familiar enough with my line of work to translate the skills?

If I were applying for something totally out of the box -- like a PR job for a real estate firm or something -- I'd probably have to rewrite the resume.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell, i'll throw out a question ... unless you hook up at a D-I as the head guy, aren't the hours of an SID just about as shitty?

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Probably worse, tp. For one thing, you can pretty much count on working six days a week, and seven if there's something important going on Sunday.

And I'm told that if you go with the basketball team on the road for some Wednesday night game and don't get back until 1 a.m., that doesn't mean you're not expected to be in the office by 9 or 10 the next morning.

You've really got to like it to do it.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, for shits and giggles, how do they salary a d-III guy if he doesn't have X amount of people working for him?

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd be curious to hear that myself.

11. nibs price

nibs price Member

When I was a D3 SID (along with a head coaching assignment), I worked up to 110 hours a week during the busiest part of the year. That included attending ALL home events in all sports, doing all the pubs, announcing for quite a few of the home events, along with all the other attendant duties.

I also went on the road with basketball and volleyball when necessary to make sure we actually had stats.

The busiest day I had in my four years at that gig was probably when I announced and kept stats for both teams at a volleyball match that went 5. I hated my life that night around midnight.

All for the princely sum of $22,500.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, the school broke labor laws?

Draft saved Draft deleted