1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on health insurance (for self-employed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, Jul 19, 2006.

1. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

I'm in a similar boat. No insurance with either by job or the wife's job. we tried getting insurance out of our own pocket, but one of us got turned down so until one of us gets a job with insurance, we're screwed.

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Thanks for the info JGMAGC...fortunately, our daughter is currently on COBRA through my previous employer, so she's covered for now. The COBRA expires in six months, so we do have a little time, but its so dang expensive it hurts.

I'll do some digging & see how Utah feels about catastrophic hospitalization policies.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Google "Fortis Health".

Click on "Assurant Short Term" (That's what we have.)

Type in your zip code and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.

4. Grohl

Grohl Guest

I may be mistaken, but I think under HIPAA you can't be excluded from coverage by an individual health plan because of a pre-existing condition if you have had continuous coverage for 18 months without a break in coverage of more than 63 days. There may be some other condition too, like not being eligible for any other group or government plan. You have to have used up all of your COBRA coverage, too, which is 18 months, I believe. So if you can manage another six months of COBRA, it's an option.

Basically, do some research on HIPAA. Hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted