1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on entering the Journalism field

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Klasky24, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Scripts would be easy enough to write.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't say "writing." But otherwise, yes.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know if you can go strictly on history, Rick.

I wonder how well radio or TV monetized in their infancies. And I wonder how much the slow in the growth of Web advertising dollars is related to the recession as opposed to just proving that you're not going to be able to make substantial revenue through Web advertising dollars.

I've said it before on here -- companies like auto manufacturers are talking about moving their advertising dollars more to the web, because they can target specific audiences better.

We have to see what happens in that regard when the economy turns around.

No guarantees, but I don't think it's a guaranteed failure either.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, radio and TV advertising took hold pretty quickly, actually. Here's a good, brief overview: http://ezinearticles.com/?A-Brief-History-of-Television-Advertising&id=427382.

The problem of monetizing web advertising goes way beyond this current recession. It was there during the dot-com boom, it was there during the dot-com bust, it was there during the boom that followed the dot-com bust, and it's here now. I've yet to see a single convincing explanation of why people might just suddenly, overnight, starting paying 10 times as much for internet ads as they do now.

It's not a guaranteed failure, but if I'm advising someone on what to spend tens of thousands of tuition dollars and bet their entire future on, "I can't 100% guarantee that this won't buck all the trends and become viable" isn't near enough of an endorsement, no matter how much they love the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted