1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on entering the Journalism field

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Klasky24, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Oh, goody, another thread that's going to morph into what a bunch of morons kids from Harvard and Princeton are!

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That actually was the point I was making. I'm not summarily dismissing those who went to the big name schools. I'm pointing out that you can get a great education featuring committed professors, excellent writing opportunities and all the various things we associate with the big boy schools anywhere. By the same token, you can get dreck anywhere.

I figured since the kid intimated that he expected a great education to be a given at one of the big name schools that I didn't need to extol their virtues.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm glad to see no one has attempted to justify the kid's attitude regarding CSUF or any other non-name, more affordable school.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

edited.

if you're going to insult someone, at least get it right.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Hey Klasky,

I'm graduating in May with a degree in mass communications, concentration in print/electronic journalism. The past four years, I was convinced I'd graduate, get a job with a newspaper and work my way through the print journalism world until I was writing for Sports Illustrated.

The dream remains alive, but I wish I'd done what so many have advised on this thread. Major in something else, kid. Maybe minor in journalism, if you can, and heck yeah, get involved with a newspaper or your student newspaper. String, do some profiles if they want them, some features if they want them. Work with them, but don't commit everything to them. I just don't know how worth it it'll be in the long run.

Never lose your passion for writing, and do everything you can, everything suggested here -- read the greats, write all the time -- to get better. But don't give your life to journalism, because odds are these days journalism won't give you a great life in return.

But all of that I'll follow with this: always do what you love to do. Do what doesn't feel like work. Even though I'm getting stressed out about where my life is headed right now, every time I sit down to write a story everything feels just right. I'm praying things work out for me. I believe they will.

But be wise with it, Klasky. Consider other options for your major.

And about the school thing -- it matters some, but what matters more is what you can make out of where you are.

[/ramble]

6. Klasky24

Klasky24 New Member

Alright, I've gotten legitimate responses and for that I thanks you guys. Obviously it was not what i wanted to hear, however its obviously the truth.

This probably changed my major, quite the impact you guys have on me eh? lol

Fortunately I am young, therefore there is plenty of time for decisions to be made. Hopefully the economy improves, because as it stands now, the majority of majors have a rather grim future.

Wish me luck in my future endeavors whatever they may be lol

Thanks again guys...appreciate the help from some knowledgeable sources

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Definitely keep in touch. Hang around here as much as you can.

Sorry you got to the party 20 years too late :(

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Like people said, klasky, just because you change majors doesn't mean you can't still write. Take some journalism classes -- especially the ethics/law ones -- and apply to work for the local newspaper and/or campus newspaper. Continue to pursue the dream.

But changing majors gives you better options when you're looking for jobs later. And you're going to thank yourself for making the switch when you get out into the real world.

9. Klasky24

Klasky24 New Member

Lol, yeah ill try to stick around and make some posts.

I'm sure i can learn a few things simply by looking around every once and a while.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Deep breath.

OK.

Almost all of the advice you've gotten here is great, but I have one disagreement with the general tone.

If you're looking to start at a small newspaper and then hopscotch your way to the New York Times the way others have done in the past, that ship has long sailed.

But there are going to continue to be places that provide content to readers, and somebody's going to have to write it. The web isn't going anywhere, or if it is, it's going to be replaced by an even more modern and sophisticated information presentation system.

So, don't major in journalism, but take the classes. Major in something of interest, but if you want to be useful to news providers, make it something having to do with the real world.

And take every single opportunity to take classes or whatever in every single new media technology there is. Applications like Flash or whatever, video, podcasting -- I'm not going to make up a whole list, you get the idea. Embrace everything. Learn all that you can outside of simply writing words.

I still think there's going to be places for aspiring news people. It's just not going to be the way it used to be.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or pay worth a damn.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And you'll have to beat out 10 other applicants for even the lowest of low jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted