1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on buying an elliptical and treadmill

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I have one unstable knee and after I developed a couple of wonky discs in my neck, the doctor advised against jogging. I use the elliptical during the week but break it up on weekends with walking and a little big of jogging on a treadmill. I think you can get a good cardio from either machine, as long as you put the work into it. You can dawdle along on a treadmill just as easily as the elliptical. I think the reason some people advise against an elliptical is that it doesn't help train one for any real world activity. As you are able to increase resistance on the elliptical, you are getting better at ellipticalling, not training your body to be a better runner or whatever.

Now that I have some space for it at home, I'd love to get an elliptical and a treadmill and give up my gym membership. I've started researching machines a couple of times but get overwhelmed by the choices. One friend has said the only way to do it is go to a store with a bunch of machines and try them all.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Does anyone use an exercise bike anymore? If I go to a gym at a hotel or something, that's what I usually use for an aerobic session that avoids the knee pounding.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I've been using my bike an average of five days a week for four months. I've dropped 40 pounds. So yes, they work (along with watching what you eat).

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

OK, I checked out some ellipticals in the $800-$1,500 range and was disappointed with them so I think I've scrapped the idea of buying one. I don't really wanted to spend $4,000-$5,000 and it sounds like that's what it would take to get a really good one. We did, however, find a treadmill we like. A NordicTrack Elite 5700. Anybody have one by chance? I like everything I've ready about them. It's basically the Commercial 1750 with a different name and that one gets rave reviews.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I do in winter when I don't want to ride outside. love it . Low impact and get 10 -12 miles a day and burn 800 - 1000 calories.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The downside of the bike to me is that you burn fewer calories, and it hurts my ass after a short time. I go with the arc trainer or elliptical to burn more calories and not stress my knees. And Gloves, I might have already said this, but before you shell out the cash, be darn sure your family will actually use it. I probably don't need to tell you how many exercise bikes and treadmills just collect dust or become a place to hang clothes.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

With elliptical machines being so expensive I'm wondering if you've considered a NordicTrak cross country skiier? It's a heck of a workout. I had a lot of success with mine (when I used it). The lower-end models can be had for a pretty decent price. In the interest of disclosure, I got rid of mine when I sprung for a decent treadmill, which I used a lot in the first year but have slacked off since. I got back into walking in the summer and my knee shut that down. Now I wish I still had the skiier.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We bought a treadmill with our wedding gift money, a nice one for about $1,200. I use it 5-6 times a week. Best investment we ever made.

Last year, I bought some dumbells and canceled my gym membership, which didn't fit my hours or having small children. Another great purchase.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're going to lift weights, do yourself a favor, and pull up some YouTube videos, or find some other source, to make sure you are using proper form. Do this even for moves you are positive you are doing right. You'd be surprised how many you are doing wrong.

Work on your posture too. It's critical as we age, and you want to exercise while using proper posture.

And, Cran mentioned it earlier, but yes, you want to focus on major muscle groups. Work/engage your core.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing about frequent exercise that is not noted that much, or as much as it should be, is how it helps your immune system. (Knock on wood.)

For the last two weeks, everyone in my house has been sick. My daughter was sick. Then my son had the flu for a couple days. Then my wife got absolutely knocked on her ass for about a week with the flu and is just now finally pulling out of it. I haven't had so much as a tickly nose through it all, and I only sleep about five hours a night.

Mr. Sunshines makes fun of me here for this, but it's the one thing in my day I won't budge on, won't sacrifice.

I'll have to check the brand of my treadmill for you and post it tonight or early tomorrow. Like I said, it's taken an almost daily pounding for more than nine years now, and I go pretty hard.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For a really good workout, Dick likes to give his treadmill a drink or two beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted