1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on an awkward situation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kytra, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Kytra

Kytra New Member

Heh. I'm a very face value type of girl.

I gave him my number (you're right, not my cell phone) because he seemed like a nice guy I'd like to talk to about things other than sports and because it set of alarm bells in my head that this was a situation I should get out of and think about before making any decisions. That's kind of contradictory, but I am in desperate need of a clue and naive at times. This was definitely one of them.

As for where I stand on the guy, he seems like a nice guy who could be fun to hang out with. However, I'm not looking for a romantic relationship at the moment. And yes, I know I gave him my cell phone number and that's how he probably read it. I didn't think through the entire repercussions of my decision when I made it, and that's my fault.

It is a good lesson learned, though, and I guess I'll have to chalk it up as that. They can think what they want of me in the locker room, frankly. It's my professional reputation I'm far more concerned about.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The lines between personal and professional, in this instance, were blurred.

You're right in that it's a learning experience.

3. donaugust

donaugust Member

If you answer one of these (withheld) calls, I'd suggest you make it very businesslike: Podunk Press, Kytra speaking. That may set things in a more professional state of mind off the bat.

Just my $.02. Take it for what it's worth.

4. Answer with a false name and accent. After a couple of times, it should stop.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Student-athletes might be regular men and women playing the game they love while enrolled full-time in classes. That doesn't mean it's OK to date them if you're on the beat or assisting on coverage of that beat.

To me, at least, the rules don't change simply because we're not talking about the pros or colleges. To date anyone that you might have to deal with is always a bad idea, even with semi-pro athletes. I don't think any female reporter would want to be the focus of any more locker room chatter than she already would be under normal circumstances.

6. Oscar Madison

Oscar Madison Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but there are far worse conflicts of interest out there than this one.

I don't know if this makes it right, but when I worked at a small paper, one of the veteran reporters pointed out to me that it's hard to avoid dating a potential source. After all, who in the area isn't a potential source? Especially if you work in a small town.

Does that make it right? I'm not sure.

But just remember Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia has Dei Lynam work the 76ers beat while her father Jim works for the team as an assistant coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted