1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on a job offer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wissportsguy80, Apr 14, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Have you tried to get a supermarket job lately?

I have. Several times. Would love to get one, actually. Have been unable to do so.

That's why people will move and why people will take these jobs, even as badly as they pay.

I'm not at all surprised at this manager's/company's reaction. Not even a little bit.

There are thousands -- literally thousands -- of out-of-work mid-career sportswriters, many of whom have been out of work for a year and more, who are hungry, needy and fearful enough to do almost anything for a job because they'd like to keep their careers alive, such as they are, or because they are sick and tired of freelancing and would like to do or get back into their careers on a full-time basis.

Just like wisportsguy80.

And, there are thousands of college grads and prospective interns, and people with limited experience, too, who are all trying to start their careers.

Companies can pay whatever they want. What's more, they know they can get great, overqualified, often-better-than-the-managers employees nonetheless by doing it.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Kind of.

Anticipating a layoff about this time a year ago, I began applying for retail jobs. Got two calls for interviews the week that my company made its cuts. Was relieved to tell both retail companies thanks, but I'm still employed. I expect I'll be going through the same drill in a few months.

Wife got a cashier job at local supermarket, with zero employment experience in this country.

3. WriteThinking

Wow. Tell me how. Seriously...:)

Although, I'm guessing her not having employment experience in this country actually may have helped her. I hate to say that, but it seems to be the reality sometimes.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe.

But I think being from a different country helped as much as anything. At least they mentioned that during her interview. Seems a little odd, though. Our area is heavily Hispanic. My wife only encounters a Russian customer once or twice a month.

Of course, when the application asked for "previous salary", the figure she gave was so low it definitely did not scare them off.

5. WriteThinking

That did probably help. I've learned, in the course of all my applying for things, to always mark the lowest of the salary-expectation options -- especially if its an application on the computer. If you don't, your application will be tossed right off as a matter of course.

And, I do think being from another country helps. If it allows you to mark that you can speak another language, all the better. Probably doesn't matter what the language is.

I've been considering purchasing a Rosetta Stone course expressly for this purpose. It has little to do with really wanting or feeling like I need to learn another language. Just so that I can, hopefully, know enough to be able to honestly mark on an application that I am somewhat proficient and conversational in another language.

6. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I had no trouble getting a job at Sam's Club doing sampling to supplement my unemployment.

$10.00/hour.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Considering the manager's reaction, be glad you aren't working for that paper.

Making a counter-offer is reasonable, especially when the original offer is so low.

8. I made more as a proofreader nearly 25 years ago

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I just noticed this posting thread.

This definitely worked out for the best. Lowball offer, scuzzball tactics by management. Trust me, they set you free and did you a favor.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Good decision on your part...they'll end up getting what they pay for and will be looking to fill the job again in three months. In the meantime, keep searching. You can find something better full-time or even something part-time that may be a better option...if you're going to be paid like a part-timer you may as well be putting in a part-time workload.

I'm also surprised they didn't get back to you to discuss salary options via a phone call...seems like the logical next step. But your not missing out by them moving on :)

You have to do what works for you...I had one last week where I had to be up front during a phone interview saying for me to move my family and make it work the money would have to be higher. I didn't expect them to be able to honor that (and they weren't able to it seems), but no sense taking a job that isn't going to make ends meet.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Serious question: How does that supplement your unemployment? In my state, anything you make would come straight out of what you would get for unemployment. And if you make too much, you'd get no unemployment.

So there really is no "supplementing" unless it is done under the table.

12. WriteThinking

I think you're right. The way you describe it is how unemployment insurance works in my area, too. You can make some partial income while getting it, but, whatever you get is supposed to be claimed and then that much is not given in your unemployment payment for that period. And, as you said, if you make more than what your unemployment benefit would be for a period, you won't get any unemployment for that stretch.

Basically, you can have one or the other, but not both in full at the same time, unless, as you said, you do it under the table.

I'm guessing that a sampling job may, in fact, be that, and could maybe be taken under the table -- at least until it comes time to report it at tax time. I'm not sure but I've always had the impression that those people were individual independent contractors, not actually or officially working for a big-box store's company.

That's not what I'd want, though. I'd want an actual job with the company.

Draft saved Draft deleted