1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on a job offer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wissportsguy80, Apr 14, 2010.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Good luck to them hiring someone at that salary and not budging. You're better off.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The editor is a twit. What type of higher-paid job could you get with the company as a reporter? I guess she'll move from qualified candidates to slobbering idiots soon enough with the type of pay they company is willing to dish out.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

You're better off.

4. nate41

nate41 Member

Wow. I make 9.75 an hour peddling fish at my local supermarket.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good move in NOT taking it.

Never take a job with the hopes that it will turn into a different job. NEVER. Too many variables.

Also, remember this: if a company is being inflexible and being "this way" now, just imagine what it would probably be like working for them. During this stage, companies are usually on their best behavior -- they are like the bride before the wedding. It only goes downhill after you say 'I do'.

Good move. Keep your head up.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the french fry technician got to that level by washing lettuce. And after the fry job, he can go on the grill. And after that, he can be assistant manager, and that's where the big bucks come in.

Seriously, you are better off without that paper. They offer you peanuts, then yank the offer at the first sign that you are hesitating. Screw them.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

They made you what sounded like a firm offer and then rescinded it when you made the counter? Shady, shady business. Be glad you are not working there.

8. I may be being touchy, but I just want to try to draw a distinction between WCI as a whole and this specific manager/incident. While I concur that this doesn't paint the company in a good light, I've worked for WCI for 8 years and have by and large a very good experience. Certainly nothing like this.

Sure, we've had our troubles like everybody else in this biz, but because WCI is family owned and media-varied (WCI also owns multiple radio stations and specialty pubs, among other things) it's doing better than most.

Based on what wis has told us in this thread, I have strong feelings about how his situation was handled, which I will keep to myself just to be sure I'm able to continue to provide for my wife and daughter. But I will say that in my 8 years at the Telegraph Herald, I've have precious few issues with WCI.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed, a company may have a good rep - but, for this one person in this one case, it probably was less than ideal.

Even when a firm's reputation is strong, it just takes one rogue manager out to put his/her own stamp on something to change it. I'm a living example for that in my own life. I put up solid ratings, was easy to work with, didn't moan but then got a new boss who wanted her friend in my spot. I still work for a good company but I have a bad manager...

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's sad, but someone will jump at this job. There are plenty of people from other industries who are applying for newspaper jobs all over the country with little to no newspaper experience, and some are actually getting hired on.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But why would anyone actually MOVE to take a job that pays what their local supermarket would pay?

For the joy of working nights, weekends and holidays?

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't have much more advice other than what has already been given or received here.
    But, I would like to point out what a good, honest thread. So refreshing.

Draft saved Draft deleted