1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on a job offer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wissportsguy80, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Hey guys,
    So I have a little dilemma on my hands and I was hoping maybe some of you guys out there could provide me with some clarity.
    I've been employed professionally as a sports writer for almost four years now, however I was laid off from my last full-time gig in August of '08. Since then, I've worked as a part-time staffer at a small daily and as a freelancer. Last week, I interviewed for an assistant sports editor position and they made me an offer this afternoon.
    However, with the starting wage they're offering me, I seriously don't know if I can manage. It's starting out at $9.75/hr with an increase to $10.25 after 90 days. It's a chain of three small, weekly papers, so I knew the pay wouldn't be stellar but. ...
    At my last full-time job, I made $12.25/hr and even $11/hr at my part-time gig. Don't get me wrong, there are pros to this job and it would get me back doing what I love full-time, but it's near Madison, Wisc. and apartments around that area aren't cheap.
    It also looks like there could be room for advancement, but it's hard to say how long I'd be waiting on a promotion.
    Just wondering if you guys had any advice for me. I'm really racking my brain on this decision. Thanks!

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I love Madison more than most, but, damn, for that money ... I wouldn't take it. That's just me, personally, though. I have dreams of saving up some money and starting a family, and I couldn't do that on that money. But, again, this is just me. Ultimately, it's up to you (obviously!).

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That's damn low for an ASE.

I would counter at a minimum of $22g a year, and if they don't bite, tell them good luck in their future endeavors.

4. Boy, that would be a tough wage to accept. On the other hand, at least it's a full-time job.
    I wish I had better advice for you, wis. Good luck.

BTW, is this for the Verona/Oregon/Fitchburg weeklies? If it is, that's the same company I work for, Woodward Communications.
    If that's the case, you may find this hard to believe given the salary you've been offered, but WCI is actually a decent company ... pretty damned decent when you compare it to others in our business. FWIW.

(edit)
    I see the ASE job posted on our company newsletter, so it looks like this is indeed the job I thought it was.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

You've got to tell them that you'd love to take the offer and you think the work would be interesting and rewarding, but they've got to come back with a wage that's appropriate. And then be prepared to give them a dollar figure.

It's tough because you want a full-time gig so badly, but dude .. you've got to be able to eat. They need to understand that and if they can't, you're probably better off letting this opportunity go by.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My first job out of college was for $9.75 an hour. I lasted 6 weeks before I realized I would be losing money every month.

Write a professional counter offer letter, you can google it for pointers. Worst they can say is no. That's a real low offer even if it is near the most underrated city in the world.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wash your mouth out with soap, boy! Madison rocks (or at least it did when I was 18-22)! (Agree with you about the low wage and the counter offer, though).

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

He said underrated.

9. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I got offered $11 in Pocatello, Idaho, and didn't take it. I don't think you would be able to live off that wage, bro. Do what others have been saying, come with a counter offer, and if they say no, you say bye-bye.

10. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Just as a thought, the woman that tends to my yard makes 15 bucks an hour, my cleaning lady gets 80 bucks for three hours of work. You could probably wait tables or tend bar and make more than $9.75 an hour. I don't care if this is Wisconsin and standard of living is lower, that is insulting. What is minimum wage in this country, $7.25. You went to college for christ sakes, tell them Lincoln ended slavery more than a century ago. Of course if you do take it, make sure you get all the pay increases in writing. Companies are notorious for offering pay increases and then acting like Reagan at the Iran-Contra hearings and suddenly getting amnesia.

11. That's cool that you work for Woodward Communications. What paper do you work for? And yes, it is for the ASE position covering Verona, Stoughton and Oregon.
    It's good to hear that the company is good to work for. It sounds like there would be a possibility for advancement too, so I'm definitely putting that into consideration. I've experienced working for bad media companies in the past, so I'm definitely looking for a place that is stable and with good people to work with.
    I have a tough decision to make, but I appreciate your help! Thanks.

12. Rudy, you make some good points! Yeah, we all know that a degree in journalism doesn't always lead to riches, but yeah, being able to pay rent would be nice. If I do take the job, it looks like I could still freelance for the current paper I work at, so that's a few hundred a month. Of course, that depends on how my schedule shakes down, but it should work out. Heck, if I take it I think I would need to supplement my income. Thanks for your advice :)

Draft saved Draft deleted