1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ADVICE NEEDED: Selling an automobile

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kokane_muthashed, Oct 15, 2008.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Shortly, in a month or so, I plan on selling a 2000 Ford Ranger I have. I'm looking for advice from SJers who have had to deal with selling a car or truck. Or even if you've bought a used car from someone.

It's a good truck; runs fine, no engine troubles. In great shape save for a few scratches here and there. The bed is toast from hauling stuff, but a bed liner will fix that nicely.

It has almost 70,000 miles on it, which I consider low seeing how it's 8 years old. Tires still have 30,000 miles left on them. I replaced the battery last winter. Brake pads need replacing and I plan on doing that before selling it.

I don't know whether I should park it with a sign on it or drive it around with a sign on it. Currently, it sits and collects dust for the most part.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated......
  2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Park it in front of a high school with a for sale sign on it?
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sold 4 cars that way. Be realistic about the market price, not the value to you, then cut a little more. Look to kbb.com (kelley's blue book, adds in autotrader.com, newspaper adds, other craigslist listings). Entertain only serious buyers. Then sell.

If you put a too high price, it will just sit.
  5. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Did you already purchase a new vehicle, do you plan on doing so if not already?
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How about a classified ad in your local newspaper?
  7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I have another car.
  8. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Ah lucky you.
  9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be odd?
    Anyway, drop a classified ad in The Paper. Let co-workers know, especially the ones with teenagers. They might be looking for a ride for them. You might also hit people that don't own a truck but but do lots of home projects. Like maybe somebody that has a jeep, but it always running down to Home Depot because his wife wants something down around the house.
    I digress.
    You'd be surprised how much response you'll get from a classified ad.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will punch you. And Jeep is capped.
  11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He wants to sell it, not keep it around as a giant plant holder.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you put a classified in the paper, send calls to a number that you won't mind having ring at 6 a.m. Subscribers keep way different hours than you likely do.
Draft saved Draft deleted