1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ADVICE NEEDED: Selling an automobile

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kokane_muthashed, Oct 15, 2008.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Shortly, in a month or so, I plan on selling a 2000 Ford Ranger I have. I'm looking for advice from SJers who have had to deal with selling a car or truck. Or even if you've bought a used car from someone.

It's a good truck; runs fine, no engine troubles. In great shape save for a few scratches here and there. The bed is toast from hauling stuff, but a bed liner will fix that nicely.

It has almost 70,000 miles on it, which I consider low seeing how it's 8 years old. Tires still have 30,000 miles left on them. I replaced the battery last winter. Brake pads need replacing and I plan on doing that before selling it.

I don't know whether I should park it with a sign on it or drive it around with a sign on it. Currently, it sits and collects dust for the most part.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated......

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

http://www.autotrader.com/

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Park it in front of a high school with a for sale sign on it?

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

craigslist.

Sold 4 cars that way. Be realistic about the market price, not the value to you, then cut a little more. Look to kbb.com (kelley's blue book, adds in autotrader.com, newspaper adds, other craigslist listings). Entertain only serious buyers. Then sell.

If you put a too high price, it will just sit.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Did you already purchase a new vehicle, do you plan on doing so if not already?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How about a classified ad in your local newspaper?

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I have another car.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Ah lucky you.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be odd?
    Anyway, drop a classified ad in The Paper. Let co-workers know, especially the ones with teenagers. They might be looking for a ride for them. You might also hit people that don't own a truck but but do lots of home projects. Like maybe somebody that has a jeep, but it always running down to Home Depot because his wife wants something down around the house.
    I digress.
    You'd be surprised how much response you'll get from a classified ad.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I will punch you. And Jeep is capped.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He wants to sell it, not keep it around as a giant plant holder.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you put a classified in the paper, send calls to a number that you won't mind having ring at 6 a.m. Subscribers keep way different hours than you likely do.

Draft saved Draft deleted