1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice Needed re: bullying

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've posted many times about a story I did on "Kids Fast Defense."

The idea is to use strong voice and strong body position to make it a major pain for the bullies. If it's hard to bully, they will move on to an easier target. The same goes for child predators.

Only at the end of the course, the kids are taught pure self-defense like kicking.

The guy (Bill Kipp, former Marine, etc) would probably tell your son in that situation:

1) Adopt a strong body stance
    2) Yell at the top of his lungs: STOP DOING THAT!!!!!!!!! GET YOUR HANDS OFF ME!!!!!!!!!!

That way everybody within a mile knows exactly what's going on. It creates a real headache for the bully.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Again- if you trust the head coach, speak with him and tell him what your observed. Suggest that you both speak with team about general comportment at all team functions and being good teammates. Send an e -mail to parents telling them what you spoke to team about and ask for their assistance reinforcing at home.

You did write that the bullying has been going on 6 years. If that is the case I would really try and figure out why that is happening. I've coached a number of kids with ADD and they all seem to fall into a similar pattern of being bullied. A few were some of best players that I've had, but they march to their own drummer. It's a good trait later in life but tough for a 12 year old trying to fit in.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's great advice. I can see that. Thanks.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is good advice.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you should show him "Scott Tenorman Must Die!" and then play him some Radiohead.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

This kid's got cancer.

In his ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted