1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice? Gifts for guys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ArnoldBabar, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

My wedding is in a couple of weeks, and it just occurred to us that at recent weddings we've been to, everybody gets a gift at the rehearsal dinner. Apparently this is a tradition.

My best man is it, no groomsmen, and I already got him a cool gift. Now I have to come up with something for a group that includes three dads, a soon-to-be brother-in-law and a friend acting as officiant.

I already have three or four flasks from previous weddings and know nobody needs those. There are no smokers, so cigar stuff is out. No golfers. My preferred cost limit is about $50 per gift, and time is short.

Any suggestions? Anything cool you've received?

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Last wedding I was in, we got these neato little swiss-army wrench type things with our initials carved in. Then there was a bouncy ball, becuase of an old inside joke, and red socks because of some tradition on the bride's side that has the guys all wear red socks.
    I like the multi-purpose tool thing, becuase I don't really have any tools at my place, so it worked out well. Whether that will work out for your guys, though, is another matter, I guess.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't know you lived in Vermont. :D :D :D

Seriously, I was in the same boat as you--who the fuck needs more flasks they never use and none of my groomsmen smoked--so I got my groomsmen and my dad jewelry boxes with their initals engraved on the top. The boxes had a little mirror on the inside top and little slots for change, rings and a money clip along with space for money and other various knick knacks.

My dad doesn't say boo to a ghost and hates when people buy him anything, but he told me numerous times that night he really liked the gift and my mom says he uses it all the time. And my brother-in-law has his on his nightstand. so I'll presume the gift went over well...and I got a great deal on them at a flea market. Trust me: I was WAAAAAAAY poorer than you when I got married and I was able to afford it. I bet you can't go wrong with 'em.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

My bro-in-law got us pewter shotglasses with the blessed date engraved. No clue how much that set him back but I have mine to this day.

5. ArnoldBabar

What, the three dads thing? My parents are divorced and remarried, so I have a dad and stepdad in the mix.

And you've got a lot of nerve, you jewelry box fruitcake. :D

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I like the idea. I mean, come on, you can never have too many shot glasses.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I left that one cockhigh for you!! It's your wedding present!!!!

Seriously, congrats to you and the future Mr. Babar.

8. ArnoldBabar

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted