1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice For Those Starting Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SholdMediaGroup, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I interned at the Indianapolis Star in the '90s, I was told by one of the reporters there that, "It will take you 10 years to get back here."

2. When you folks were just starting out, what was some of the best advice you received?

3. Honestly, it was to accept a job out of my comfort zone (cops beat). It turned out to be the best career choice I've made because of the opportunities it led me to.

4. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

1. Who are you and what do you do?

A faceless and humor-less individual who writes about sports.

2. How did you land your current job?

Someone referred me to my editor.

3. What is your best advice for landing a great media job?

Work your ass off. And then after that, do it again. And again.

4. What would you tell your 18-year old self about this business?

When the time comes, marry rich.

5. How do you separate yourself from a field of applicants?

By outworking them. I know that sounds general, but really, there is no substitute for a willingness to do the work. Like the old saying goes, 70 percent of success is just showing up.

6. What is the most challenging thing for a young media professional…how do they overcome this?

Maintaining a professional attitude. I've seen too many youngins treat the job like an ongoing meet and greet. It's a place of work. Find a mentor (ideally, a seasoned colleague) who can show you the ropes. I cannot stress how important this is. There is no substitute for getting someone who knows the biz to help you along the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted