1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice For Those Starting Out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SholdMediaGroup, Apr 7, 2015.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I thought that this was a forum for sports journalists, not people who think they're too good for the industry?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Have you met our Chicago bureau?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because we get the "Wow, what an interesting resume you have!" line an awful lot, without the resulting job offer to go with it?

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Do we?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Point of clarification: I don't just think I'm too good for the industry. I think everybody is too good for the industry.

UNCGrad likes this.
  6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Extremely well said.

7. Mr. Sunshine

That's not true at all. There have been/are plenty of people not good enough for this industry. Of course, some of them are still hanging around and may even hold positions of significant influence. But many of them are just bitter hacks, whether they're still part of the industry or not.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why don't you take a look at the "Getting Out of the Business" thread.

9. Mr. Sunshine

I do agree that those familiar with a given profession are prone to complaining about it. Rarely is any job" as good as it used to be." Everyone thinks their jobs suck.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is that ... but those jobs I listed are all similar to journalism in that the conditions have changed so dramatically that it isn't the career they got into anymore.

Doctors, for instance, no longer have the wealth payoff that will come down the road after eight years of schooling and all the residency. You do OK financially, but it's pretty rare to build a practice so you're probably going to end up working for the man anyway, at a fairly unremarkable salary. And that's why we have a doctor shortage and it will get worse in the coming years. Curiously, though, we have way too many journalists.

I've heard it from quite a few doctors, that they wouldn't go into medicine in today's world.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Low standards.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There's a difference between "not as good as it used to be" and "disappearing at an alarming rate."

Draft saved Draft deleted