1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for Sports Journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jla74m, Apr 5, 2007.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The easiest way to overcome your past is to stay at your current job for a couple of years.
    Start rebuilding your resume reputation and do good work.
    Also, start networking. Show people there's a person behind the resume.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Agree. Suggest you stay put in your current location for a couple of years, unless it's absolutely unbearable. Go from there

3. boots

boots New Member

Do stay at your current job. However, if a situation comes up and you see that you can better yourself, by all means go 4 it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

by all means.

5. m2spts

m2spts Member

I used to be called the Larry Brown of sportswriters.
    One thing led to another which led to another, and so on.
    Lost three jobs, had three papers either cease publication or cut staff because of JOAs, and I walked away from one, probably my best job because I burned out.
    The rest of the time, I've moved on my own, also because of wanderlust.
    I don't know what's right. I was at my first job for 15 years and loved it, but was sent packing because of a story (in the days of sacred cows) and some personal problems were interferring.
    At the time, I was telling myself, "Do I want to be here my whole life? I think I'd like to explore the country."
    I have. Soutnern California to Iowa-Illinois to Nevada to Idaho to Utah to Northern California (with Southern California in between).
    It gets old, but I can't say I regret what has happened. I've made some wonderful friends and associates.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Apparently not. He's been hired 13 times.

You CAN'T be married.

Draft saved Draft deleted