1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for someone without a degree

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thunder8671, Jan 5, 2014.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was relatively young (25) and we didn't have any children, which made it much, much easier.

My wife finished hers and I was able to quit work and go with few distractions. 100 percent life changer for me, no doubt about it.

But I saw the career writing on the wall. I wasn't writing -- I was on the desk -- and without an education, I had hit the ceiling as the No. 2 desk guy at a really good paper.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Of course, another good option for someone without a degree is to, um, join the military. Right, t_b_f? :)

I've actually long thought this. Seriously.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've wondered about the military as well, but I think I'm probably too old now - 44 in a couple of weeks.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I have limited college experience, unfortunately.

I would probably want to tackle a degree full-time if possible, assuming my current work contract ends after the Olympics as scheduled. It may get renewed temporarily, but I've already been told that because I don't have a degree, the odds are slim of me being hired on permanently.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If you're starting from scratch (or near scratch) and don't have a particularly good financial aid offer from a four-year school, taking gen ed courses through a community college is a more budget-friendly option. I'm a semester away from finishing my AA and have yet to take on a cent of debt. Like you, though, I'd prefer to go full-time to complete the Bachelor's degree as quickly as possible.

6. three_bags_full

Well, since I've been in the Army since 1995, I don't think my 2005 decision was too heavily weighted.

7. three_bags_full

Unfortunately.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, I went back to school a year ago because I found a post-grad certificate program that I could do in a year. They let me in based on my life and work experience and I hoped it would give me a leg up in my job search. I aced the program, won the award for the highest GPA, but I find I'm not really any further ahead because of that all-important BA requirement. The only reason I have this current job is through a couple of connections. And, because the program I took was only a one-year deal, I don't know if or how it will transfer if I decide to carry on with more schooling.

Guess I have some thinking to do.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Credits tend to expire after a certain length of time.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Good luck with your search. If the certificate program was through a reputable university, I'd think there is at least a decent chance you could get credit for it. That would be something to ask the admissions counselors when you're shopping around for schools. Even if you don't get classroom credit, it should reflect well on you as far as admissions and possible financial aid awards. As to Fart's point, whether credits expire or not varies from school to school. Some of the universities I've looked at want transfer students to supply a complete academic history, regardless of how long ago the credits were taken.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Might be just a personal experience.
    I lost many of my doctoral credits in between stints.
    Five years, was what I was told.

12. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Finding a program allowing you to get a four-year degree in two years or less will certainly be tough to do. Getting the degree completely online will probably be your best bet. You'll have to do some researching, but there are a number of universities specializing in fast-tracked online degrees.

The other thing you will have to consider is if it is even worth it if you are in the last lap of your career. Because of the economy, employers can be very picky about final candidates for a position. Just having a degree still may not be good enough. Other determining factors may include your major and where you went to school. It's obviously important to make sure the degree is going to really move the needle for you before investing the 2-3 years -- if you are late in your career.

Draft saved Draft deleted