1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for getting paint out of carpeting?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lisa_simpson, Sep 20, 2008.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

So, I bought a little townhouse about a month ago, and decided that I wanted to paint my little third bedroom/office before I moved in. The previous owners agreed to prime the walls, but their crew did kind of a half-assed job and I decided I'd slap on a second coat. How hard could it be, really? I've done a fair amount of painting in my lifetime.

Yeah, cut to this evening - I have not spilled primer on two separate spots on the carpet, despite having laid down multiple dropcloths, I'm also out of primer and the walls aren't quite finished. My problem is that I couldn't get all of the primer out of the spots - I blotted as best I could and soaked those suckers with water, but it's not all coming up. Anyone have suggestions?

:-\

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Get new carpet

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

D'oh!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2047045_remove-paint-from-carpet.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Google "removing paint from carpet" and you will get more advice.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Asking us about home repair is like asking ... well, it's pretty bad.

6. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Latex? Warm water and soap.

Oil-based? You're screwed. Unless it's wool. It seems to stand up to turpentine or thinner, which is what you will need.

Next time, use real drop clothes. yes, they are more expensive. Now you know why painters use the real thing.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Nail polish remover. Buy a big bottle and pour it on the paint stain. Liberally. Blot until dry. If that doesn't get it all, pour remover a second time. Sopping wet.

It's how I got bright blue paint out of my mother's white carpet. And the most anal woman in the world couldn't tell the difference.

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

With acetone, or without? This was a common suggestion when I googled, too, but no one mentioned which type of polish remover to use. Thankfully, the carpet is brown, so the spots just look a little bit lighter brown at the moment. It's latex, so it was coming up with water, but one of the spots is just too big to keep doing that for days on end.

9. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Place the furniture in the room over the paint stains.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Anyone else see this thread and thought it read "advice for getting out of carpeting?"

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

how about some browner paint? cheaper than new carpet!

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Goo Gone

[​IMG]

". How can I remove lipstick, tar, grease from my carpeting?

Use Goo Gone, but use it properly. Goo Gone is an adhesive remover and, if used improperly, it can remove the adhesive that affixes the carpet fibers to the backing. Therefore, don't pour Goo Gone into the carpet. Put some on a clean, white rag and work the grease out, changing the rag surface periodically. When you're done, wash the carpet area with soap and water and rinse well with clean water. "

Draft saved Draft deleted