1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for a young sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TallSportsGuy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That *is* a real answer. You can screw up your life really good clinging to a dream in your 20s. One day you wake up 30, realize you actually want things like retirement and a family, and you have no chance because you didn't save a dime in your 20s because the dream was so important and you didn't hedge your bets.

When you are determined to work in an awful job market for a dying industry and you give yourself a huge handicap by refusing to look outside of a small area of the country, you should do yourself a favor and at least be willing to do some side work to save up money.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd say there is always Wal-Mart, but there is a hiring freeze at my local store.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

At the very least learn some other skills, so if the ship finally does go down you'll have somewhere to jump. In the meantime, just go into it for the love of sports writing...not for the $$$.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I wouldn't move.

If you want to stay near your friends and family, however, you might have to sacrifice a sports career.

I did, and I don't regret it.

5. TallSportsGuy

TallSportsGuy New Member

podunk: What do you do for a living since you gave sports up?

6. Don't just limit yourself to sports. Open yourself up to a news job. I know you want to be a sports editor, but you have to be flexible, not just in this career, but any career. And it would make you a better sports writer in the long run if you came back to it. Wish I'd have done it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are determined to stay in the area and determined to find a job in journalism, I would suggest that you look hard for a clerk job at bigger papers -- if there are any openings.

One. You are working full-time and have benefits and a fairly decent salary.

Two. It's easier to move up and into a better role from that job than it is as a stringer, in my opinion.

I know numerous examples of people who started as clerks and moved into good writing, editing, management, SID or PR jobs.

I don't know too many people who started as stringers for bigger paper moving into a full-time writing job in that market.

The cruel bottom line is it's a piece of cake to fill a full-time writing job. It's not always easy to find enough good stringers in the area.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

@rick: you pretty much described me. Guess in three years when I wake up 30, i'll be disgusted with myself.

@waylon: you are exactly right. Doing both news and sports is invaluable, and also learning as much web stuff is good as well.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I agree. Make yourself the newspaper equivalent of the five-tool player. Learn news, photography, editing, layout. You never know when your bigger skill set will tip the scales in your favor in a job search.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I third that. I really believe that versatility is what has kept me at my shop through several rounds of layoffs. The bosses know that I can be a writer, copy editor or layout guy for news, sports or lifestyles at any one of the three papers under our roof. When the Web editor is on vacation, I'm the guy. When the photo editor is on vacation, I'm the photo tech (I created our system of organizing digital photos years ago - it's still in use). I'm the special sections guy and coordinate biz coverage at my paper. Whatever it takes to get the job done right and keep the paychecks coming, I'll do.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not trying to be funny here so take this as it reads. be careful which posters on this board you listen to for advice. just because someone holds themselves out as an authority doesn't make it the truth. you'll pick up on which posters are offering something worthwhile and which aren't.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe not disgusted, but you may well feel like you've missed an opportunity you won't get back.

I'm definitely not saying don't chase the dream. I'm just saying be smart and willing to put in some extra work and sacrifices to secure your future. You don't get your 20s back.

Draft saved Draft deleted