1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for a potential first-time home buyer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 10, 2015.

1. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

While we are on the subject, I bought my house on a 30-year fixed rate and had it paid off in about 17 years. I knew I probably wasn't going anywhere and the monthly payments were pretty cheap, so I threw a lot of extra toward the principal each month. My question to the experts here, though, is this: the house is about 60 years old and I worry about stuff like the wiring. It's never been an issue, but it's obviously not up to today's code, either. Should I get it inspected, and when they tell me I need to get it rewired A. Do I bid it out?; B. How do I know who to trust doing the job? C. How expensive is it? D. Should I even be worried since we've had no problems?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I lived in a house that was 60 years old, and it still had fuse boxes instead of breakers. And then after an inspection resulted in the whole place being rewired, the guys who ripped out the old wires said it was a miracle that the place didn't burn to the ground at some point.

Not trying to worry you needlessly, but you probably should get your wiring checked.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Do everything possible to NOT NOT NOT throw money away on mortgage insurance. Even if it means waiting many months until you can come up with a bigger down payment. As of 2010 you can't even deduct it on your taxes. It's just money thrown into the toilet.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Did you mean "homeowners' insurance" instead of "mortgage insurance?" Because they are two different things.

Homeowners' insurance is to insure you in case of a fire, or disaster, or someone gets hurt, etc. Mortgage insurance is for the bank to charge you extra if you have less than, usually, a 20 percent down payment. As BTE said, mortgage insurance is just a waste of money. Homeowners insurance is necessary, and most lenders require it.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What do you mean, Sunshine, not like the subprime market caused any great bubbles or anything.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We were required to pay mortgage insurance because we only put 12 percent down. However, it was a one-time charge and was included in the closing costs. If I recall correctly, it was less than $300.

Paying it monthly sounds like a scam to me.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mortgage insurance would have ongoing premiums. If you are buying insurance for something -- for example, insuring your lender in case you default -- you need to keep making payments to keep up your insurance. There might be an upfront fee as part of the insurance -- in fact, I would bet there is--but in addition to that, you are paying a monthly premium if you have insurance. You might not realize it if the premium has been rolled into your monthly payments and you are not on top of exactly what you are paying and to whom.

8. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I would disagree here. If you don't have money in the bank to cover installation of a new hot water heater or a leaky roof, perhaps you can't afford a house. Self-insure yourself for the small stuff. Plan for the big stuff. Don't give all your money to a warranty company.

9. MisterCreosote

I guarantee you I'm paying $0 a month on mortgage insurance. It was a one-time payment at closing.

Monthly payments may not be a scam, but it's definitely NOT how I paid it.

10. The Big Ragu

You don't have mortgage insurance if you aren't paying for it. Did you do a single payment of some sort?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  11. MisterCreosote

Yes. I posted twice that it was a one-time payment made at closing.

12. The Big Ragu

OK. I have never had to deal with this. Sorry. What that would mean is that you paid your future premiums up front at its discounted value, rather than paying it as you go at its future value. It's not a scam if you pay your insurance as you go. Depending on the size of the loan, though, it wouldn't be a nominal $300 payment (unless your loan isn't for a whole lot of money) -- why I thought what you were describing might be an initiation fee and not the premium. I just looked and those single payments average 1.75 percent of the loan total.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted