1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adventurous eaters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Nov 19, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not a problem!

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Lambs' brains and pigeon pie in Marrakesh.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well done.

4. KG

KG Active Member

You can get bison at Kroger in the Atlanta area. I've been thinking of trying some.

5. KG

KG Active Member

My dad makes the best deer jerky ever! I've had frog legs, but never really considered them exotic. Squirrel is another one.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Eaten chipmunk? So has...o, never mind.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And frog legs is basically eating a buncha tiny bones. Ostrich is about as wild as I;ve gotten

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Alligator -- restaurant in New Orleans.

Frog legs -- any number of catfish restaurants.

I had the bear and the barbecued raccoon at an annual wild game dinner at a church in my old town.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Stuff I eat that some might find different:

Quinoa. It's a seed/grain that is oddly fairly high in protein. One of the oldest cultivated foods there is, but not common in most American kitchens. You boil it up (and I do a bunch of different dishes that incorporate it; I even make it into muffins). It has a fluffy, slightly crunchy texture and has a nutty taste.

I also stir fry 2 or 3 times a week and like it spicy. I use this sriracha sauce. It's a chili sauce and I found this one brand at a Korean grocery that is amazing. The whole bottle is written in Korean, so I have no idea what the brand is or what to call it. Even a generic sriracha sauce can spice up any food -- I use it in chili I make in a slow cooker, for example. Different things I throw into stir fries that might not be common for a lot of people include bamboo shoots, sliced water chestnuts and baby corns. They all fry up well and add some crunchiness. I also use wide rice noodles a lot. Boil them for 5 minutes and throw them into a stir fry toward the end of cooking.

Anyhow, for anyone who has never tried quinoa, I'd really recommend picking some up and seeing what you think of it. It's a pretty cheap food.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Quinoa is kind of like wheat berries.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

In that same vein, bulgar is very good, too.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Short of a life-or-death situation, I'd draw the line at eating insects. I might try them if they were fried or cooked, though.

One of the coolest meals I've ever eaten was at this restaurant on the North Shore of New Orleans. It was just a big buffet, with all of these weird meats you don't normally see on a restaurant menu -- rabbit, frog legs, oysters (fried and raw), alligator and a couple different kinds of fish. I've always thought it was cool that I got to try so many different things in one sitting.
    Alligator was good, but kind of fatty. Rabbit was tougher than I expected. Raw oysters were just nasty. It felt like it was trying to escape from my mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted