1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advantage Car Rental

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lester Bangs, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Heading into Seattle next month and need to book a rental car. The Seattle rental tax is silly as hell, and I was looking at more than $300 for a three-day rental. Then I find this Advantage Car Rental, which basically rents cars for about $15 a day and the total bill comes in at less than half the other guys.

Problem is, I have never heard of these guys and it kind of has a too-good-to-be-true vibe to it. They look legit, but there's a certain brand familiarity with the other guys.

Can anybody out there offer testimonials on Advantage?

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If they offer you a Corvair, ask for something else.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do they offer unlimited miles? That can be the catch for those low rates...

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

They offer unlimited miles. I actually used them for a recent trip I took. They marked up the price a lot since I was under the age of 25. They gave me the smallest car available, but it was pretty good on gas. I bought the fill it up when I get back to the lot option, and I ran that sucker dry. The only gripe I have is I wanted a compact car, but they gave me that clown car instead. Other than that, they were very professional and courteous, especially at 3:00 AM when I returned it.

5. Lester Bangs

Thanks for the info Mayfly. I shall rent with confidence.

BTW, not sure if it is like this everywhere (I try to take public transportation as often as possible when I travel), but Seattle's taxes and fees and rental cars come in at about 36 percent. They're a gun short of armed robbery.

6. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Those taxes are the reason Qwest Field and Safeco Field exist.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess no one cares about the Seahawks or Mariners?

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I used Advantage on a trip to San Diego a couple of years ago. It was no better or worse than any other company I've used.

9. Lester Bangs

Oh yeah ... I know. But damn if it's not a bitch to get a quote on a three-day car rental and have it be damn near twice as much as the flight.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Rental car taxes are so popular with the locals because the only people who generally pay the tax are out-of-towners or insurance companies. And the government's voracious appetite must be fed.

11. Houston is an absolute joke in that regard. I think one week's car rental was more than three times the cost of my plane ticket.

12. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Seattle has one of the best public transit systems in the country [in my opinion].

Draft saved Draft deleted