1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ads on the front page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, May 23, 2008.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My paper just lost this battle. Our EE emailed the staff with the bad news, obviously not happy with it himself. It is like everyone else's (except Detroit), a banner ad across the bottom.

A few years ago, I might have been outraged. Now, if it helps me keep my job, I'm in total support.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't like em, either.

3. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

My local paper, which pays me for lots of freelance work, often uses 1-by-2 stickers on the front. They're below the fold. You have to peel them off. I don't know what sort of adhesive they use, but they come off without much trouble.

I don't mind the banner across the bottom. But that example from the Free Press is shocking. It's a big, clunky thing that just sucks away all the focus. Not much you can do to lure people away from that ad. Well, I guess you could run your headline in hunter orange with 72-point.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Small bug: "Banner" is synonymous with top. Carry on.

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

So what do you call an ad that runs across the bottom?

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Technically? In our case it would be a five-column, one-and-a-half-inch ad.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Stripped across the bottom?

8. "rennab" obviously.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Our paper jumped this shark a long time ago. We have one-inch ads stripped across the bottom on all section fronts. They've never been intrusive or flashy, so I don't even notice them anymore.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Double wow. The Gannett paper I read every day has a ton of crazy-shaped intrusive ads on the inside, but never anything on a front like that.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

An old paper of mine did this for a month-long period before the Super Bowl, right across the bottom. It was an ugly add, and it took up more space than I wanted to give up. And when you've only got a three-page section some days, like in life, every inch counts.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

An ad that runs across the bottom of the page.

No. Strip ad. I know you can argue that a strip can go at the top of the page. There is even a vernacular for it. And you're right. But, generally speaking, a strip ad is one that travels the width of that page at the bottom. Where is get confusing? If your section allows men's club ads. Then you have strip stripper ads stripping across the bottom strip.

Draft saved Draft deleted