1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ads during NFL, World Series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kato, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I thought about posting this on the thread about the Dixie Chicks movie, but thought I'd avoid thread-jacking.

Anyway, does anyone else here have trouble watching NFL games and the World Series with their kids because of the advertising? I'm not talking about beer ads, I'm talking about commericals for network TV shows and movies. I'm talking about ads for CSI, 24 and some of the fine Halloween-pegged horror movies now out. Throw some video games in there, too.

I'm not a prude, and I have no problem with those shows/movies -- the shows are on at appropriate times and the movies are properly rated -- I just think the commericals are completely inappropriate for my kids, who are 8 and 6 and love watching football and baseball.

Guns, explosions, talk of murder, rape and child abduction. Grab the clicker quick!

The World Series has been just as bad over the years. Then again, MLB does its best to make sure those games start after my kids go to bed -- but that's another issue.

2. dmc

dmc Guest

I agree, it has always been said that if you dont want your kids to see that stuff, then dont let them watch the shows. That should be simple enough for parents, but then these ads show up, and of course they show the "highlights" of these shows.
    Its a tough situation, kids should be able to be kids and have some of that innocence as long as possible, but its almost impossible to manage.
    Dont those in charge get this? (of course they do, but hey, we need to make as many millions as possible, no matter what the cost)

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Push the envelope as far as possible...The networks now have their foot on the accelerator because they feel they are losing ground to cable. What a country, ads for the violence of the Scarface video are extremely violent. But i think the network's goal is to desensitize our country to violence and sex at a young age as possible, so the next generation of parents won't even have questions like yours.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Who watches commercials anymore? I thought that ended when you stopped having to turn the knob on your TV.

5. dmc

dmc Guest

When you are with a group of people chances are you will try and have a conversation during the ads (the mute button is great for that). And of course while you are alone, you bet your ass there are better alternatives. But still , you cant always escape them. I put effort into doing anything but watch commercials when they are on, but I still see plenty of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted