1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Wojnarowski piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

That could definitely be a reason this didn't break until now. A few other possibilities.

1. The best NBA reporter had no interest in reporting it.

2. Many media members are hesitant to write about other media members, and that was probably more true four years ago than it is now.

3. Reporters who found out more recently were uncomfortable bringing it up without a news peg.

Between all the plausible ways this story could have stayed under wraps, it's not that shocking it did.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Care to venture a plausible guess as to why information would get released on hundreds of other fines -- for every offense known to man, and levied at players, coaches, executives, owners and teams -- but not this one?

3. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

If you think this was the only fine the NBA didn't announce, you're naive.

4. MisterCreosote

I didn't say that.

5. Some crack work you and your colleagues are doing in not breaking this.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

My memory's a little hazy but IIRC there were multiple outlets that got the Sterling thing wrong before Silver's announcement and Woj nailed it. Seems like a piece about Woj should've included a reference to that somewhere.

7. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

Ah, misunderstood your point. Why does the NBA announce some fines but not others? I don't know, though I could make a few guesses about this case:

1. Dumars is held in high regard around the league. Perhaps this includes members of the league office who didn't want to embarrass him.

2. The NBA had a clever way of identifying Dumars as the leak. Perhaps the league didn't want to disclose its method for discovering him and take it off the table for future use.

3. Perhaps the league didn't want to come across as overly concerned about a prying media.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

9. MisterCreosote

I didn't know the answer for sure, that's why I asked. I'm not Sabrina Rubin Erdely or Jessica Pressler.

I'm still calling bullshit.

There are a lot of great NBA reporters. At least one of them would've had this before now, and I find it impossible to believe anyone would have it and sit on it for four years.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Except for, you know, the one guy Joe Dumars liked talking to.

11. MisterCreosote

Wojnarowski loved Dumars so much he'd sit on a story about one of the top 10 fines levied in all of sports history?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Here's the thing: No one who has been around the NBA scene for any substantial time in the past eight years is surprised by anything in this story. But the feelings, my feelings as well as others', are mixed. The thing that gets me is the use of anonymous sources to write a takedown of a columnist for his anonymously sourced takedowns. There also were some facets ignored, such as the "Wojification" of Yahoo Sports across the board over the past five years, similar to the "Baylessization" of ESPN, and the way he burned Ric Bucher should have been mentioned alongside one of the few named sources in the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted