1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I thought it was pretty much universally known that this is no longer acceptable behavior. I don't know anyone who hits their kids with a belt or other object.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh come on, BDC99 ... Isn't it absolutely clear that both you and I support and engage in this practice? [/doIreallyneedthefuckingbluefont?]

On edit: Oops, I meant "spikechiquet and I "

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it certinly is a fine excuse for beating your kids, if your father beat you.[/itsaculturalthingyouwouldnotunderstand]

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I was actually hit with a switch AND a belt by my father and his mother. Not in an abusive way, but in the Southern tradition that you and spike describe. But it wouldn't even occur to me to do that to kids in this day and age.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He claimed a scar on his face was caused by his girlfriend hitting him with the heel of her shoe.

Problem was, in a selfie he had sent her before the altercation, he sported the same scar. :D

Oops.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Never really quite understood whence came this "Southern tradition" labeling vis-a-vis corporal punishment. Take a pass at Farmer Boy (Laura Ingalls Wilder's story of her husband's upbringing in rural New York). The phrase "Father's whippings hurt" did not emerge ex nihilo ...

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Whippings aren't a Southern thing, but I've always known the switch to be. As in grandma telling you to go find a switch off the tree.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I admitted I was revising my position based on new information. I also said I felt that way only if that article is correct, specifically highlighting two points. One is the photo depicting the child's injuries had to be legitimate and the other was the claim that Peterson had admitted to the beating had to be true.

In that case, the evidence would be clear enough that I think it would be fair for the league to take action without waiting for the legal process to play out.

My initial position was that I don't really have a problem with the league waiting for the legal process to play out first. To my knowledge, the league has consistently done so, at least during Goodell's tenure. The league would be following precedent. I have been critical of the NFL for ignoring precedent in the past, so how could I complain if they choose to adhere to precedent now?

My point being, if the league can confirm the injuries as depicted in the picture and that Peterson admits causing them, I would prefer that the league act without waiting on the courts. However, I would not complain if the league insisted on waiting on the court as a matter of respecting past precedent.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nellie Oleson deserved a few whippings.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

McDonald has only been accused, not convicted. Have you seen any evidence supporting the accusation?

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Where did I say I did?

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

OK, I did not realize he has not been charged. But I am still surprised he is on the field until he is or isn't. Like I said, take them off the field and pay them until you have reason to reinstate them or suspend them without pay. Given the recent PR nightmare, seems like the right thing to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted