1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson Indicted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's harder to keep this stuff quiet now than it was back then.

2. The pictues - on TMZ - are NOT pretty; marks on his back, butt, hips, legs and arms.

Peterson has 7 kids? Does that include the on that died?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Never said anything of the sort. Said it's a tough call. And maybe AP did do something horribly wrong. Was the child injured? I haven't seen enough yet to tell.

Vikings waste no time deactivating him.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FOUR YEAR OLD VICTIMwarrant for his arrest Vikings have deactivated him

He whipped a 4 year old, he beat a 4 year old. He gave bloody injuries to a 4 year old. Thats not discipline that abuse.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, my first thought was "smacked with a switch? Sounds like my childhood and everyone else in the South."

Then I saw the pictures. Nevermind! Jail the fucker.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

OK, yeah, fuck that. I gave him the benefit of the doubt given that my grandmother and father used similar tactics, but they did not do THAT to me. And I wasn't 4 years old. He deserves whatever he gets. Damn, what is wrong with the NFL?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, how old is this kid? I have seen reports that it is an 11-year-old and reports that the kid is four.

This one from cbs.sportsline has both. WTF?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24706732/report-adrian-peterson-indicted-in-child-injury-case-in-texas

That said, if that story is correct, forget everything I said about waiting on the courts. The mother claims he admitted "whooping" the child. If those welts in the picture really are the result, the NFL does not need to wait on the legal system to take action.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Shit. Guess I should have looked at the photos on the link I provided up the thread. In my haste to be among the first, I got it wrong.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I keep seeing conflicting reports regarding the child's age, but the rush to throw stuff out there is par for the course.

That said, I agree on your last point. Those injuries are not the result of appropriate discipline. They are the result of abuse.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

oop, did you rail against MLB for suspending John Rocker in violation of his First Amendment rights? Because that's what you're doing here. Due process is for the legal process -- it means he can't be punished by the government without a guilty verdict. It doesn't have a goddamn thing to do with his employers.

Now that we're hearing it's a 4-year-old, I would wager large amounts of money that any company would immediately fire a person charged with causing those kinds of welts and bruises on a 4-year-old child. But not the NFL.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So how does this square with your original position? You're either for due process or you're not. You can't just pick and choose, which the NFL is learning the hard way.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

BDC nailed that one. Peterson is still in the due process stage if you believe in that.

Draft saved Draft deleted