1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson declares for draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 10, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Re: Adrian Peterson to enter draft

Hey, they didn't ask graphics for THE Adrian Peterson. They asked for AN Adrian Peterson. ;)

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Re: DMN screws up again; Peterson denies early entry

FYI: Michigan's Mike Hart has already said he's returning to school for his senior year.

Geez, I remember when ESPN made a HUGE deal out of televising Lorenzo Booker's college choice. I think that was about the last time I heard his name until now.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know, putting a new story and title at the top of this thread while leaving all of last night's responses to him coming out is a little confusing.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Peterson will be the first RB taken... Marshawn Lynch will be the better pro...

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am confused. So was the DMN flat wrong, did they jump the gun or what?

I can't see writing a story saying he is gone if you don't have it at least off the record from the kid or his coach or on the record from a parent or agent or assistant.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, I think they jumped the gun. I think AP is coming out here, but to run the story without word from either Peterson or Stoops makes them trying to be first rather than right.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can't say what happened with the DMN, but last night the Tulsa World (where I work) and the Oklahoman both had on their sites that Peterson was still undecided. We had a quote from his high school coach saying he thought Peterson was leaning toward going pro from the talks he had with him before the Fiesta Bowl, but who knows now. But Stoops denied the DMN report and a TV report last night, telling the World that he had met with Peterson but all they talked about was that he should meet with some agents again and get as much information as he could before deciding.

And for those wondering, Adrian and his father are close. He still talks with his father, always has. And he takes his dad's advise seriously, as well as his mom's.

And from all I've seen of him, he seems like a really well-grounded cat. I don't see him going Clarett.

All that said, I bet Peterson goes pro, with the announcement coming tomorrow or Monday (for some reason I don't see him doing it on the weekend), but I wouldn't be shocked to see him pull a Matt Leinart and return. If I was his dad, I'd be telling him to go because it could cost him millions, but a year where he stays healthy, tops 2,000 yards and wins the Heisman might help his stock. Another injury, though, and he goes from being AT WORST a middle first-rounder to being an AT BEST late first rounder.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

A-Pete reminds me a lot of Jerious Norwood, the Falcons rookie who became Mississippi State's all-time leading rusher.
    Norwood played as a true freshman and is an upright, sidewinder-type runner who I thought didn't have a good shot to make it in the League.
    Both A-Pete and Norwood are sort of shy, too, with media. Not close-mouthed and introverted, but shy to a degree.
    They remind me of each other.
    Norwood's done well as a rookie in Atlanta, and has avoided injuries for the time being.
    Quick tosses to these guys in the NFL game can get them into that open space and they can do damage.
    These type players are prone to get beat up over the long haul so the jury's still out on Norwood, but he had a productive rookie year. Bush is a master at avoiding big hits. Emmitt Smith could do this, too. And Barry Sanders
    A-Pete might make a good pro

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

A runningback has a finite amount of carries in his body so wasting 300 of them for free is absurd.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

At this point, they are already considered morons for passing on Bush.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And my question is:
    Is it really that important to be "first" on a guy passing up his senior year to go into the NFL Draft? Happens all the time.
    It is really such a "scoop" that you have to use anonymous (and apparently unreliable) sources just to say you broke this "big" story?
    This is total nonsense to me.

Of course, when Peterson announces Sunday or Monday that he has decided to go pro, the DMN will write "as originally reported in the Morning News...."
    And that, folks, is one more thing that's wrong with our business

Draft saved Draft deleted