1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson declares for draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sooners’ Peterson still undecided on future
    By JEFF LATZKE
    AP Sports Writer
    OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson said Thursday he has not yet decided whether he will declare himself eligible for the NFL draft.
    “I have spent the last few days considering my options to either enter the NFL draft or stay at OU. The facts are that I have not hired any representation and I have not declared for the draft,” Peterson said in a statement released by Oklahoma.
    Peterson is considered a likely first-round draft pick if he were to leave the Sooners and skip his senior season. He has given no indication whether he will stay in college or turn pro. The deadline for juniors to enter the draft is Monday.
    “He’s very unsure,” Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Thursday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “He’s still trying to figure out what he wants for his life and what he feels is best for him.”
    Citing two anonymous sources, The Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday night on its Web site that Peterson had decided to enter the draft and met with Stoops to inform him.
    Peterson and Stoops both denied that report.
    “My meetings with Coach Stoops and my parents have been to discuss all the scenarios,” Peterson said in the statement. “I see a lot of options in both so I am still undecided on what I want to do. I wish people would give me the opportunity to decide. Once I do, I will make an announcement at the right time. Any reports that are different than that are false.”
    Added Stoops: “They said that our meeting was to inform me. That was anything but the case. The meeting was with me and his parents and just discussing through all the possibilities and what all the different scenarios might be. He was at that time still very unsure of what he truly wanted.”
    Stoops said he plans to keep in touch with Peterson.
    “I’m sure I will. We’ll talk daily, what he’s thinking about, what he’s feeling. Whatever the young guy wants, I’m all for,” Stoops said. “I think people close to him respect that, that this is his life to live and he needs to do it where he satisfies what he feels he needs to.”
    Peterson missed seven games this season with a broken collarbone, but still finished with 1,012 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns. He ran for 77 yards and two touchdowns, including a 25-yarder on the first play of overtime, in Oklahoma’s 43-42 overtime loss to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.
    The runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2004, Peterson set an NCAA freshman record with 1,925 yards before injuries derailed his sophomore and junior seasons. He missed all or part of four games with a sprained ankle last season.
    “I think what’s been underplayed from everybody is Adrian’s a great competitor and he loves playing here, he loves playing with his team and I think also that people don’t realize maybe in the end he feels he hasn’t gotten everything he set out to get,” Stoops said. “He maybe feels a little unfulfilled that way.”
    Stoops said his goal is to make sure Peterson is well-educated and bases his decision on accurate information.
    “I think in the end he’s still undecided for his life what he wants,” Stoops said. “Adrian’s had people trying to tell him what to do for a long period of time and he’s used to listening to what he wants, not what everyone else thinks he ought to do, which is what I think a lot of people respect and admire about him.”
    With 4,045 yards in three seasons, Peterson ranks third on Oklahoma’s career rushing list, behind 1978 Heisman winner Billy Sims (4,118) and Hall of Famer Joe Washington (4,071). He also holds the NCAA with nine straight 100-yard games to start his career.
    In recent years, defensive tackle Tommie Harris and safety Brodney Pool opted to skip their senior seasons at Oklahoma to enter the draft. Quarterback Jason White and linebacker Rufus Alexander are among those who chose to return.
    “Some other guys maybe felt they’ve run their course and done what they set out to do. Maybe he feels there’s still some more to do. That’s up to him to decide,” Stoops said. “There isn’t any pressure at all from our end. We support him fully in whatever he wants to do. In the end, it’s his life to life, and I think that’s to be respected.”

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Re: Adrian Peterson to enter draft

Why in the world would he go back to OU?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

To mess up his other knee?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No real surprise here.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This guy is, um, a fucking stud.

Where's he headed, though?

Cleveland, Houston? Or will somebody -- NY Giants/Jets, Packers -- move up?

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

In all seriousness, did anyone think he was returning? I thought it was pretty much accepted as fact that he was outta there.

7. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Yeah, I don't think anyone really expected him to be back. While he was a great college running back, I'm not sure he'll have a great NFL career. At least not a very long one. He'll have to change his running style. He's used to just running over people, but he won't be able to do that with NFL linebackers. I see Earl Campbell in his future.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He should be so lucky. Campbell didn't last long, but he was an incredible back in the NFL.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

RE: Selecting a running back high in the draft

Maybe someone with more NFL Draft expertise than me can correct me, but it looks like out of the top 20 rushers this year (total yards), the number of them drafted in the top 10 is ...

FOUR

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't look the numbers up, but you could definitely be right. But two of those former first rounders are Tomlinson and Larry Johnson, arguably the two best backs in the NFL.

Though I can definitely see the point of spending the first-rounders on other positions and getting your running backs later, as much for the short career spans as anything.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Johnson was pretty late in the first, IIRC.

12. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

No one should be lucky to be like Earl Campbell -- off the field. The man can't walk. Nice life.

Draft saved Draft deleted