1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson compares NFL lockout to "modern-day slavery"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's really interesting to me is how concerned that the general public is about this - even 5 1/2 months from start of season. This is a point in NFL year where there is little going on.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Major League Soccer contracts are generally not guaranteed. And their veterans make money that could be compared to the NFL rookie minimum.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting, too, that so many here and elsewhere see this as a public relations battle.

As the lockout proves, owners couldn't possibly care less what the public thinks.

As a straight-up tutorial on what's what, Surowiecki's take has been the most pointed I've seen.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2011/03/21/110321ta_talk_surowiecki

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I actually don't care, and won't much care about the details of it even if they miss games. I'll be annoyed, but I don't need to assign blame or take sides - what's the difference to me how they divide their money? It just makes for irritating sports radio where you have sports people pretending to be experts on issues they barely understand that if I found interesting, I'd listen to Bloomberg. We just need to get to Thursday so that the tournament starts, and then fill the Monday-Wednesday vacuum after that until Opening Day. Can't come fast enough for me.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The players don't care either, but the owners are smart enough to STFU.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

MLB and NBA contradts are guaranteed. Don't know if every NHL contract is guaranteed or not; same with MLS.

Golfers and tennis players do not have guaranteed contracts with PGA or with WTA.

NASCAR drivers can be fired.

Boxers contracts are fight-by-fight.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The smartest thing the players can do is talk not so much about themselves, but about the economic disaster the owners' stance is bringing to the local economies (stadium workers out of jobs, local bars and restaurants threatened, decreased tax revenues, etc.).
    If I'm Tom Brady, I talk about the damage a cancelled season does to the town of Foxboro - local government employees are going to be laid off (thankfully, the town negotiated a minimum payment, or it could be worse). Talk about Hitler accomplishes nothing, but talk about the economic effects might resonate in a way the owners would not appreciate - and might force them back to the table.
    Guys like Brady, Manning and Brees should leverage their popularity with the fans to put some heat on the owners.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The same owners they want giant contracts from?

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Does the general public care, or does ESPN, TV and radio, just keep talking about it? I haven't had a single conversation about the lockout with any of my sports-aware friends. Meanwhile, it occupies about 75% of ESPN's day. I'll start to care if they don't have it figured out by the middle of the summer. Until then, it's really, really being blown out of proportion.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He didn't "compare" it to modern-day slavery. He called it modern-day slavery.

Quote: "It's modern-day slavery, you know?"

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Don't cross the hall monitor!

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

this would be a great idea, except

the owners don't give a shit

Draft saved Draft deleted