1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson compares NFL lockout to "modern-day slavery"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So if there is a strike this year average player will sacrifice a third of his career.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. Assuming these players genuinely care about the players coming up behind them, they need to draw a line somewhere and it might as well be here.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you are misrepresenting what he said. I'm pro player but STFU when you are talking about slavery. the average fan is a moron and just thinks you are a millionaire playing a game. They'd be wrong for everything that you have said but how do these statements help their cause?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I'm with the players (stupid comments aside) mainly because it is the owners who pushed the lockout despite big increases in revenues and they really haven't made the case exactly why they need/deserve a bigger slice. Throw in the growing evidence of permanent damage an NFL player's body experiences and it's really hard to root for the owners.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That, plus it's pretty hard to listen to the owners' cries of poverty, especially when they're using those brand-new taxpayer funded stadiums.

If the owners want the players and the public to believe their cries, then open up your books to independent auditors. If not, the STFU.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It depends whether or not you think public opinion is important in this matter, because idiotic comments like these could swing that back to the owners. I'm not sure if that matters at all, but it certainly can't help.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Adrian's somewhat right. The NFL owners probably do to a majority of them have slave labor around them, personally or otherwise.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quoted just to make sure the pure stupidity of this comment isn't missed.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

No. Pro sports is a job where you decide you want to work in one of 30 (or so) places. They chose that.

Let me repeat. They chose -- because of the fame and fortune -- in an industry where there are only 30 (or so) places to perform that work. No one forced them, except maybe their parents, to be football players.

They can't chose to be a pro football player and work in Maui, Jackson Hole or even Los Angeles. If earning your paycheck in a very specific location is that important, you chose a profession that allows it -- such as journalism, school teacher, burger flipper or shoe salesman.

The "I have no choice where I work!" line gets zero sympathy from me.

That said, I am much more aligned with the players than the owners on this labor issue. But do not pull the slavery card. It defeats everything

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ultimately, I side with the players, but they're starting to look just as fucking stupid as the owners now.

Also, De Smith's face annoys me.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

AP can walk away at any time. A slave couldn't.

I side with the players on this one, but I'm finding it harder and harder after comments like this. We should all side with the stadium workers. They're the ones who are really getting shat upon.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

AP should've said indentured servitude instead of slavery. But I do agree with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted