1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson compares NFL lockout to "modern-day slavery"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Boofuckinghoo.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If everybody keeps their mouths shut, the players come out looking a lot better than the owners.

When players start making dumbass comments like this, the players lose a little more support at a time.

Hopefully this is the worst thing any player will say during the lockout. We'll see. Twitter may make sure that's not the case.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I believe Ryan Grant was echoing what most of us are saying on what the players should do: shut up and stop using bad analogies to describe what's going on.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/25253/ryan-grant-totally-disagree-with-peterson

The more that Mawae and some of the players keep talking tough, and that their comments are not on the same page, the more De Smith needs to put a gag on them right now.

We haven't heard an owner utter a word since Jerry Richardson on Friday when talks broke down.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, there's the difference between billionaires and millionaires: discipline.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Up next: the players to compare the owners to Hitler.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Question asked out of genuine ignorance .... is there another professional sport where the players contracts are not guaranteed?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As a reminder: The NFL players' average career is something like 2.6 years, they don't have guaranteed contracts, adequate pensions or adequate healthcare. And most of them walk away crippled.

That they wouldn't agree to the owners taking back a billion dollars off the top and adding two games to the season should come as no surprise to anyone.

I support their effort.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As do most people, which is why keeping quiet right now is the best thing they can do. Let Smith and a few hand-picked union reps talk and avoid any PR damage.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I agree with this sentiment. And I have read some of the legal writings that maybe the owners' lockout will be banned by injunction or some other court-supervised intervention. However, if this turns into a staredown between the owners and the players, I'd be less surprised by a 16 beating a 1 this weekend than by the players winning through negotiation. Their careers aren't long enough to sit out, the pool of replacements is too long, and most of all they're too damn stupid with their money to have any of it left come September, and they're going to need the paychecks.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Exactly. So just STFU and quit killing a potentially decided public opinion advantage.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They're not "most people;" they're uniquely gifted human beings who, in a market economy, command sums of money "most people" can't imagine. Perhaps somebody said something stupid, as you correctly point out. However, there's no question the players are on the right side of this issue.

That we take a dumb quote from some rank-and-file player and elevate it to any level of importance relative to the overall story is sad commentary about us.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why don't you reread that sentence and tell me again whom "most people" refers to.

Draft saved Draft deleted