1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Peterson compares NFL lockout to "modern-day slavery"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Black people are oppressed like this, and Mexicans are oppressed like this.</tracymorgan>

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Well it is ethno-centric. Glad you see that.
    No real denying the manipulation of liberal Democrats to these people for votes either.
    But I expected as much.
    What's really astounding you people have been known to equate gays to blacks but not Mexicans. Brilliant. You redefine your positions every day to suit yourself.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh...and NO POLITICS!

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"You people"???? You do realize that the majority of Asians vote red right?

The only thing I'm equating is that immigrants in this country have had many of the same experiences.

BTW, black experience in US = ......... nothing. Ever.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

I totally agree on the black experience remark. Some here don't and I'm surprised they haven't jumped in....

Some immigrants became more successful than others; some never got on their feet. What's the difference between then and now with the millions of Mexicans coming over here and working for poverty wages? It may not be slavery in the purest sense, but anyone, and I mean anyone, working for at or less than minimum wage cannot make it economically in this country, period. And soon many of us will slide in that group with costs never going down and wages stifled. $10 was a good blue collar wage 20 years ago. Today, it's the normal blue-collar wage on anything you see in the want-ads.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I promise, last attempt to clarify without trying to convince you are wrong. The Mexican nationals who are in this country illegally? The $10/hr? In the eyes of the vast majority, they can make it. They prefer that wage to what is offered down south. Perhaps they cannot "make" it living a life that you perceive, but their view of life is very different from yours. Three famillies in a house? Not a problem. 10 people and one car? They'll overcome. I guarantee you that the $10/day that you believe is substandard, is very similar (inflation adjusted) to what my grandfather was earning as a one man laundromat in Cleveland in 1910 (20 hrs/day/7days/wk as he described it to me).

So am I for open borders? Not completely. But immigration needs to go hand in hand with a more openness towards other cultures and races that makes those immigrants aspire to come here for greater financial opportunity and freedoms, like 1776-1980, not what has transpired in the last 30 years.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

What has transpired in the last 30 years is because of the upper 3 percent of the wealthy; which includes a few NFL owners.

I won't try to challenge your grandfather's story...but mine used to give me this "walked 10 miles in the snow in old shoes" to go to school. Embellished? I think so since his house was a mile outside of downtown and the "Central High School" he attended.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Please don't challenge it. It was the typical story, he went back to the homeland two times and bingo, he conceived 3 girls those two times (my mom was 10 years after her two sisters.) My mom did not see him for the first time until she immigrated to the US when she was 13. He busted his a** and never complained. I was fortunate enough to know him for the first 25 years of my life.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Nah, I can't challenge something I don't know...but I think most of us had those stories embellished somewhat...mine not being an immigrant. Hell, he adopted my mom; long story but on both sides of my family the tree ends with my grandfathers..one born in an orphanage; the other blood-one, who knows where or whom. Belle Starr is on my grandmother's side, that's about all I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted