1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adopted daughter: Woody Allen "sexually assaulted me"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nothing. You can't prove a negative, but that hasn't stopped some in the court of public opinion to be judge, jury and executioner.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no idea what did or didn't happen. The "Woody is creepy, but Mia is crazy..." sentiment is probably accurate.

I do kind of feel bad for the actors who are being criticized for working with him. I don't remember such an outcry when actors have worked with Polanski.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It was the 90s, dude. It wasn't some law enforcement stone age. And this happened when Woody Allen was pretty much a human pinata because of the Soon-Yi thing. It actually took some balls to not file charges against him.

And it wasn't Woody's word against the girl's. It was Woody's word against Mia's. The girl couldn't get the story straight when she talked with police.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A 7-year-old couldn't get her story straight?

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am a bit suprised at the outright dismissal that Woody Allen may have done this. I have read another account that he was always very inappropriate with his daughter.

The whole Soon-Yi episode had already soured him in my eyes.

6. PCLoadLetter

Obviously, I get that. But when the conversation goes:

"Did he touch you?"
    "Yeah."
    "Where?"
    "On the shoulder."

...you're going to have some problems making a case. It's not that her story wasn't completely consistent -- it's that she didn't actually accuse him of anything consistently.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

When did you hear this "another account" and from what source? Can't say I'm aware of that.

And I don't believe there has been an "outright dismissal" of the possibility. But the fact is the police DID conduct a thorough investigation of the accusation at a time when public sentiment was decidedly NOT on Woody's side and concluded that it was not a credible accusation worthy of pursuit because the girl couldn't keep her story straight, appeared to have been coached, and there was no corroborating evidence.

Given that fact, and in the absence of any new evidence, is it really fair to keep lobbing pedophile accusations at the guy?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting question on timing raised by NYT reporter. Oscar voting starts Friday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/awardsseason/ethical-concerns-hit-oscar-races.html?hp&_r=0

Also points out that Nick Krostoff is a friend of Mia

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I had thought it was vanity Fair but don't recall to be honest. I guess I am just a bit bothered that her memories are being dismissed as "Well Mia is crazy..."

10. PCLoadLetter

And I have a hard time accepting the notion that she "remembers" things now that she didn't remember a week after the alleged molestation. (Not to mention the fact that after years around the girl, the "molestation" only happened as Woody and Mia were splitting and Mia was furious with him. Odd timing, that.)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And this says that having Allen's No. 1 fanboi looser write it means it didn't add any perspective at all.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2014/02/woody_allen_s_biggest_defender_robert_weide_s_attack_on_mia_farrow_and_her.single.html

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the reflex, Inky, and I went into that piece thinking the same thing ... but the amount of publicly known information he cites, much of it coming from the courts themselves at the time of the allegations, is pretty convincing.

Draft saved Draft deleted