1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adnan Virk fired by ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 3, 2019.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think the opposite is true. In my experience, when a place pays you a lot of money, they expect a lot in return. Loyalty especially. And I think that's right. I never understood when people at ESPN shit-talked ESPN to Deadspin. Go work for fucking Deadspin, then.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's just it though - all he told AA was that ESPN wasn't doing a daily baseball show. Something everyone would have known eventually. It isn't like he leaked a manager's drug problem or a fellow employee's sexual harrassment claims. I guess I just don't see the damage done to ESPN.

3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I don't know the word to describe it, but it is something that an organization that often has the word "Source:" listed on numerous headlines on its website just fired someone for leaking information.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

If you leak shit to other media about your employer, that's grounds for termination, plain and simple really.

He got what he deserved.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

So if your employer were to see some of the things you posted here and traced your handle back to you, you'd be in favor of them terminating your employment?

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

If you leaked shit about your employer or colleagues? I've always posted here under the assumption that they would.

7. Regan MacNeil

Just getting Mr. Holliday on the record, since he’s quickly adopting a “Fuck this guy” mentality.

8. Doc Holliday

No. I'd like to keep my job. I would not be in favor of it at all!

9. Regan MacNeil

OK, let me revise my question. Would you be OK with it if one of us acted the way you just did about Mr. Virk losing his job?

Because I can all but guarantee you’d be met with emotional support, not “You got what you deserved.”

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for Virk here.

I work in TV. My workplace was, for a while, frequently featured on a TV gossip site. The pissy little turd who runs the site reported that our GM and News Director were going to be fired. Every single time the GM sent out any kind of staff memo it appeared on the site moments later with an update on the career deathwatch.

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would feed those memos to the little gossip turd. There was a general consensus on who was doing it, and it was believed to be a very well-paid on-air talent who had nothing to gain by any of that. Very nice guy. If they found out it was him and fired him I would miss him, and I would laugh at how badly he played himself.

By the way, GM retired about three years later. ND is still there.

As for my employer theoretically getting mad over something I post here: God help me, I have more than 12,000 posts here. You will not find one that is critical of my workplace or that reveals any information about the company.

Virk actually asked specific questions and then immediately fed the answers to "Awful Announcing." That sounds like the work of a dumbass.

Tweener, exmediahack and Doc Holliday like this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Sure. He did bring it on himself. I just can't see why anyone would be like "Meh, fuck him" unless he was a personal enemy.

I'm not sure I've ever taken joy in a journalist losing his or her job; Bill O'Reilly and Roger Ailes excepted. With very few exceptions, we're all in this together. I'd never cross a picket line, either.

I mean, what the fuck did Adnan Virk ever do to anyone?

12. Doc Holliday

I am OK with however anyone wants to look at it.

I think it's important that we don't always agree on everything. I bet some people might even agree, that talking to another media about your own employer so they can publish private information in an article for their own gain would be a worthy offense for being fired. Seems very reasonable to me.

The emotional support is appreciated, but it's not always warranted. Just be real and say what you really think is all I'm saying. So our opinions differ. That doesn't make me right and you wrong, and it doesn't make me wrong and you right.

Draft saved Draft deleted